Magento Review

It is dedicated to e-commerce and has the most robust underlying architecture.

What is our primary use case?

I am a module developer. I also use it to make online stores for e commerce businesses.

What is most valuable?

I like the rigor with which it is architected. There is usually a right way to do something. It is dedicated to e-commerce and has a wealth of features to serve that purpose.

How has it helped my organization?

I am currently working on a module for Magento. My module will help organizations import a large amount of products efficiently. The way that Magento is built isn’t the friendliest for this kind of thing. However, the fact that Magento is so complete, well-supported, and recognized makes it difficult to consider another system. My clients will benefit by having the most thorough system for e-commerce that is built for extensibility.

What needs improvement?

I wound like the documentation to cover more of the internal classes in the foundational Magento framework module

I didn’t have any stability issues. However, I have only been working with it on a local development server. I will eventually test it on a live server with a large amount of traffic.

I haven’t moved this version to a production server, so scalability is yet to be seen.

I haven’t dealt with technical support.

I used WooCommerce. It is a fair option. However, it is based on WordPress and that system isn’t really built for e-commerce. It doesn’t have the rigor required to deal with the complex realities of a real e-commerce business. For example:

• Under the hood: In terms of the code and the architecture
  • On the exterior: In terms of managing the store

The setup is fairly straightforward as long as you have experience configuring a server to Magneto’s requirements. It’s definitely not as straightforward as the five minute install of WordPress.

Magento CE is free. There is an Enterprise edition which offers a few specific features. I would advise you to stick to CE until there is a need for the paid Enterprise edition version.

I have worked with WooCommerce, Magento 1, and Shopify.

• Shopify: I recommend it, if you are only interested in a simple store.
  • Magento 1: I would not recommend it, because it is old.
  • WooCommerce: I would not recommend it, because it is neither simple, well-featured, nor well-built.