McAfee Network Security Platform Review

The IPS has proven that it can find events and items, which previously went under the radar

What is our primary use case?

We use it to enhance security on our EDGE network in all of our remote offices, as well as our data centers

How has it helped my organization?

We feel safer now. We are currently enhancing all of our network security. The IPS has proven that it can find events and items, which previously went under the radar.

We are definitely detecting things that we knew were always there, but couldn't see them before. We have seen a big increase in reaction time.

What is most valuable?

The ability to centrally manage all the IPS sensors, track the different security events generated by it, and customize the different policies, depending on their location.

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to apply more filters or better customize reports in order to display information in a readable way. That would be nice.

Still implementing.

The tool is pretty stable when it comes to the IPS sensors. They mostly work in custom mode. They help in not generating any type of disruption in the service ever.

The Network Security Managers could be more stable, agile, and work faster. When it comes to instability, there is room for improvement.

The scalability is great. You can keep adding sensors, depending on the need or the throughput that you will be handling. The tool allows you to grow it and keep adding components to it.

The technical support is pretty good for the most part. It is sort of hit or miss. When you call in, they usually are able to help you fairly quickly. Or, they escalate the issue to their DevOps team, if you help them find a bug or it's a problem with the tool.

This is our first IPS technology that we deployed in our EDGE network. We are users of other McAfee tools. We wanted everything to be able to talk to each other. We want everything to be compatible and centrally managed. That is why we went for this McAfee Network Security Platform.

Once you learn the ropes and understand how the deployment functions, the initial setup was pretty straightforward. The tool has made it quite easy.

We did it ourselves. We bought the solution, educated ourselves, and are in the process of finishing the deployment.

I did not handle the purchasing, but I believe it cost $15,000. There is an additional support fee, but I don't know how much it is.

We also looked at Cisco and Palo Alto.

The centrally managed solution allows for control of the tool and policies in a more straightforward manner. I would imagine other tools would take longer to do the same thing that we are doing now with this, even with a new security team.

What other advice do I have?

This product is helping us grow, as we have a newly created security operations team.