Melissa Data Quality Review

Much faster NCOA processing than our previous solution, with address standardization

What is our primary use case?

We provide a service for courthouses to summon candidates for jury duty. This requires the list of candidates’ addresses to be checked via the USPS NCOA list. We use SmartMover for this purpose.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves a huge amount of time. Before using this service, we used a vendor that manually ran our lists through this NCOA list, which might have taken one to three business days to return the file. This was a huge bottleneck in our process, and the data returned was not always accurate. After switching to Melissa Data’s SmartMover, the process has been reduced to between ten minutes and three hours, depending on the amount of records sent.

What is most valuable?

It provides address standardization and NCOA, and deliverable addresses. This saves our clients time, and money in postage fees, by providing updated and undeliverable addresses.

What needs improvement?

The billing structure does not seem very accurate. We’ve had issues with miscounted batch records processed. We also ran into some data quality issues, but they have been rectified and we haven’t noticed any issues since.

Less than one year.

We encounter failed batch processes once in a while, but their team is quick to rectify issues.

Larger batches sometimes have failed batches.

Tech support is 10 out of 10.

We had issues with data quality and a very slow return time with our previous vendor.

It was very straightforward. The documentation is clear and the sales rep has been good with communication.

Pricing is based on tiers, with each tier capped at a specified number of records processed. Once you go over the cap at one tier, you are automatically bumped to the next tier. However, they seem to count failed batch processes so it’s good to keep track of the number of records sent. They’ll fix the count when notified, but their system fails to detect actual successful processes versus failed processes.

We looked at Service Objects and a few others. Some of these vendors had poor documentation, pricing was not competitive, or the product did not provide the customization we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Thoroughly test the product. They have many different products that provide the same or similar results, but the execution is different. For example, the same goal of processing a list through NCOA can be accomplished via FTP, JSON, or SSIS. It depends on the implementation and which product is best suited for what you’re trying to achieve.