Micro Focus Asset Manager Review

We use it to ensure software compliance and it is flexible. Technical support is frustrating.

What is most valuable?

The most important features are the flexibility of the product and the way that we can use it to ensure software compliance within our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We use a lot of software in the organization. In order to track it, we use Universal Discovery, which feeds into Asset Manager, to give us our install base. We load all of our licenses against it so that we understand what we're entitled to use. The compliance counters in Asset Manager enable us to ensure that we’re compliant for software licensing.

What needs improvement?

Technical support is certainly an area with room for improvement.

I participate in the customer advisory council for the product. We had a meeting at a recent conference. We get to see the roadmap and discuss what we want to see in it. They're really good sessions. I really advocate them carrying on. My prognosis is good. It's balanced, so there's some good and there's some room for improvement as well.

Our initial deployment was years ago when Peregrine ran the software. Then HPE bought Peregrine, so I was involved in that. I've also been involved in multiple upgrades since then. We've just finished some work this week, which went really, really smoothly. It was really good. No problems.

A year ago, we upgraded Universal Discovery and it took a long time to resolve all the issues. And that was using HPE Professional Services to implement it and they couldn't get to a resolution. There was R&D in China, there was HPE locally here, there was a team in the US, and there was support in Eastern Europe; all trying to work with each other across different time zones and it just didn't work very well at all.

Deployment was complex.

Asset Manager is pretty stable. Universal Discovery is a little less so. We have problems with it failing for unknown reasons sometimes. We struggle with support a little bit to get resolution quickly sometimes.

Technical support is very frustrating because we have probably 12 or 15 years’ experience with the products. We find that when we get through to technical support, we're sometimes dealing with people that are brand new to the products and often don't have the level of knowledge that we do. We answer lots of stupid questions. I understand why they have to ask them, but it would be useful, if a customer has more experience with the products, without having to pay a premium for premier support, they could get through to a level of support that means we can start to make progress quickly.

The other thing with support is that it can be quite slow sometimes, backwards and forwards, on email. We'd be quite happy to jump on a WebEx and work through something, as soon as there was a support analyst available. But it doesn't seem to work that way.

We also have issues with support, whereby, maybe you email them something, someone goes on holiday and it doesn't get picked up. We've been asked not to email directly the support people, even though they email us, and to put stuff through the portal, but using the portal is slow and clunky.

We looked at other IT asset management software products in the market a couple of times before and we probably will do again in the next 18 months or so. The other products in the area would be Snow, Flexera and so on.

When we initially chose HPE, the landscape was very different. At the time, I think the Gartner MarketScope showed it to be a leader in the area. It just became the best tool for our needs at the time.