Microsoft Bhold Forefront Identity Manager [EOL] Review

Good if this is your organizations first Identity Manager. It's painful moving over from another solution.

What is most valuable?

The sync engine is key, and the ability to have it up and running in full in a very short time.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think it has yet, for my current organization it seems more like a step back rather then a step forward, but the issue for them and why they made the change was based on cost, as the previous solution was too expensive to continue within the budget. I guess you could say that the biggest improvement was that we have more money because of it.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of areas, the overall sync engine and the concept of 'code-less' provisioning are somewhat misleading. We have had to code plenty of scripts in both Cygwin externally to FIM as well as Powershell within FIM to get things to function how we needed them to.

I was first introduced to FIM in 2010 as a part of an implementation in a Fortune 500 company that was coming from manual identity management.

We did, and we actually backed out of the initial deployment because things were not working, provisioning was not occurring, but it turned out to be an issue with access rights.

So far, lots and they are database related mainly. We were fine when we had our own database server but the organization required us to eventually move our DBs to a cluster setup managed by the DBAs. Since then we have had performance issues with FIM like crazy. Database optimization, as always, is key.

We have not, it seems scalable enough for what we need.

Not very high at the moment, we deployed about 8 months ago. The reporting servers are not functioning properly and we have been given a lot of 'solutions' that just do not make sense.

We did, and we switched for financial reasons.

It seemed pretty simple, not a whole lot to get it going, workflow creation seemed difficult, it would have been nice to have had some good default types to build off of.

It was somewhat mixed. We had an outside consultant, the vendor, and our In-House team. The vendor is called Oxford and they were top-notch.

What other advice do I have?

If you have nothing else, great, but if you have other stuff already, it's going to be painful.

If your organization has never used any kind of Identity Management Solution, I would rate it close to an 8/10, but if your organization had another solution, it would probably rate closer to a 3/10. The reason for this is that it is very good if it's not replacing anything because typically your user base is not used to 'something else'.

I have been in both situations and can very much tell the difference.