Microsoft Defender for Identity Review

Identifies, detects, and investigates advanced threats

What is our primary use case?

We are looking at this solution as a trusted tenant for our network.

This way, all of the data that goes through is trusted and the communication between our on-prem system and the Azure Cloud remains protected. Our only concern is when the data leaves the Azure Cloud and goes to another third-party tenant.

Azure is our trusted tenant — we trust it. We're just concerned about the data when it leaves Azure and goes to another third-party tenant. For example, if you have a SaaS solution, like Salesforce, sometimes they send data to customers. In order to do this, the data has to leave the trusted cloud tenant.

What is most valuable?

We like the Active Directory Federation feature. We use it a lot with the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

What needs improvement?

When the data leaves the cloud, there are security issues.

The cloud security services and the integration with on-prem applications like SIEM, needs to be improved.

We have been using this solution for roughly two years.

As it's a cloud application, there are no issues with scalability.

I've never had to deal with support regarding this solution; however, overall, Microsoft's support is quite good.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I think Microsoft has a good team that can help you set it up. I believe the initial setup went very well.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is a big company. They have put a lot of effort into their cloud solutions. They're the way of the future. They have done a lot to catch up with what Amazon did.

This solution has advanced a lot over the last few years. It integrates very well with Office 365. For this reason, I think it's the way of the future.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Varonis, Splunk and others in User Behavior Analytics - UEBA. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.