MicroStrategy Usher Review

It accesses a wider range of data sources out of the box than anything else I have used.

Valuable Features

• Scalability: Regardless of the size of the database, I can use MicroStrategy to access it.
  • Flexibility: MicroStrategy accesses a wider range of data sources out of the box than anything else I have used.
  • Ease of use for non-technical user: Most of my users are non-technical and usually a one-day hands-on session with the software allows them to easily begin to become analysts instead of report writers.

Improvements to My Organization

Our customer service team had someone who was manually querying several databases, putting the information together into Excel spreadsheets and emailing them out, usually requiring most of the morning for that individual. Now, we have a dashboard that runs early each morning and is automatically emailed to the supervisors each morning. It also contains additional data that they previously did not have access to.

Room for Improvement

Some of the web interface is still not as good as it could be. I've seen more advanced and cleaner-looking interfaces. Some features available in the thick client are not available in the web client.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for 20+ years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10. It takes too long for initial technical support cases to get action on. Once you get an engineer working with you, they stay with you until it is resolved.

I previously used Essbase and Cognos, both of which required too much technical knowledge by the user, are not scalable, and with neither is it easy to access multiple different data sources.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Don’t bother looking at CPU-based licensing, and get a good idea from the start as to how many true super users (or power users) you need and then just get simple web analyst licenses for the others.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated OBIEE, SAP BusinessObjects, and IBM Cognos.

Other Advice

If you are a small- to medium-size company, go with Windows based servers.