MIMIX Review
In addition to high availability and disaster recovery, we can pre-stage sources for data warehousing. But, it needs faster remote journal entry reads in "fire mode".

Valuable Features

We use all the features of the product. From our perspective, I think the most valuable are:

• Complete planned/unplanned switch framework
  • Full stack of comparison reports (so called audit reports)
  • 95% integration with all new IBM i features that appears, including independent ASP

Improvements to My Organization

Apart from the fact that we are assured high availability and disaster recovery, we use this product for different purposes as well. This include remote site backups, pre-staging sources for data warehousing (integration with DoubleTake Share from same vendor), and to offload production for some critical reports.

Room for Improvement

I think that there should be a converged effort with IBM for faster remote journal entry reads when the remote journal is in "fire mode". That means when remote journal is in its catch-up phase with the source system, and a lot of journal entries are bombing the journal receivers.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since 2003.

No, we have a tremendous experience with the product.

Not in the last eight to nine years.

Only with remote journal entries.

They have great 24x7 support, with very good and experienced employees.

9/10.

We had an IBM implementation for SAN storage replication (PPRC). The solution had a complex recovery procedure when production system is down. Also, you can have corrupted data while MIMIX works at the application and OS/DB2 level instead.

The first implementation was complex because we had to define, and understand, what we really need to replicate. When someone is asking you what to replicate, most of the clients are saying the "whole system". This is not possible, as you cannot replicate, for example, a system serial number (VPD), and all the other stuff that is system related when you use application-level replication (e.g local IP addressing of physical interfaces etc.).

Implementation Team

We implemented it with both vendor consultants and application consultants.

ROI

We didn't calculate it, but I can say that we have a positive ROI. We've used it two to three times to recover bank services after a production system shut down (DASD storage unavailable on production). Also, we use the product for reporting, data warehouse pre-staging, remote backups, etc.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This topic is really complicated because now the product is CPU-core licensed. When we bought it, it was system based. So I would say that at first, you should start with a small environment, for example a non-production LPAR (or VM), and see if it is feasible for the expected purpose (data protection). The licensing model is related to production and backup LPAR CPU cores, same for maintenance, it should be under 18% of the initial license fee. But, you should take into consideration implementation services that are around $1700 to $1900 per day.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated all the products on the market but MIMIX was the only option for us.

Other Advice

I think for monitoring IBM products, it is the best product on the market.

First though, you need to understand their applications and the right point in time for business recovery points. The product has some CPD (continuous data protection), but the product is more or less for real-time data replication and HA. The second time, is the cost and implementation services, I would not advise to try it by themselves without understanding where to start from.