N-able Remote Monitoring & Management Review

Makes remote access and remote support much easier and lets us know about a problem before our customers realize it

What is our primary use case?

We offer a service to our customers where we monitor their computers and let them know if there are problems before they realize there are problems. We can offer patch management if they want. Although, not a lot of our customers actually want that.

We're using its latest version. It is installed on each PC, and if our customers also want the antivirus solution, we can install the antivirus as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made remote access and remote support much easier for us and our clients. We have a lot of older clients, and it was getting to be a challenge to even get them to download a client and fire up a client for something like Techinline or any of the other services. With this one, basically, all we have to do is initiate it from our end. There is already an agent on their computer. If our clients need remote support, it makes it easy for us to get remote access to their computers. It just pops up on their screen asking if it's okay for us to connect, and then we can get onto their computer and provide remote software support.

It has also been letting us know of several potential hard drive failures before the customer became aware of the issue. This feature has come in handy for several of our customers, and it has made it a lot easier to clone the hard drive and get them up and running quickly. Our customers don't have to do a full re-install if their Windows crashes and start from scratch.

What is most valuable?

Remote support has been very handy. It also lets us know if there are failing hard drives or Windows issues.

We also get reports from the antivirus scans, which has been very helpful for us and the customers.

What needs improvement?

The alerts and reporting could be done a little more clearly. They are quite cryptic, and quite often, we seem to get a lot of reports just for a computer rebooting or going offline for a couple of minutes, which doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Reporting could be refined and improved, and they can make it easy to decipher the reports.

We've been using it for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

Its scalability has been excellent. We've had to increase our client size several times, and it hasn't been much of an issue at all.

It is being used extensively. If we get more clients who are interested, we're certainly going to increase its usage. We're offering it and pushing it as a solution for our clients at the moment. I haven't heard a count lately, but I'm sure we're well over 300 people on the service for us, which is good for us. We are in a small town. We're not in a large city or area. So, we don't have a huge client base, but based on what we do have, we're doing pretty good.

I haven't interacted with them myself, but the gentleman who does the management of it has talked to them several times. They've been very good.

We were using another one initially. I can't think of the name of it. We switched because N-able was better priced, and it offered more features. The initial one that we had didn't offer an antivirus component, whereas N-able offered the antivirus component.

I was not involved in the initial setup of that, but it was pretty straightforward. It took hours or days and certainly not weeks. After we've got it running at our end, the setup of the client was very easy.

It was implemented in-house. Currently, six people in our business are running it to look after the clients. We have one guy who handles most of the reporting and support. If it gets into an issue that's beyond his capabilities, he usually passes it off to one of us. So, one person is for management, and the rest of us are for support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good all-around solution, especially for a small business like us who need to look after a limited number of clients. It fits us very well.

We're running it on our own server at the moment. They probably weren't offering the cloud service when we started, but they're now also offering a cloud solution. If someone new is setting it up, they should find out what's best for their situation and whether they want to run their own server or take advantage of cloud service. Of course, there are extra costs for the cloud service, but there are costs for running your own server as well. For someone new, it would be very important to look at which way you want to go in terms of running your own server or using their cloud service.

I would rate N-able Remote Monitoring & Management a nine out of ten. It comes back to reporting. I'd like to see its reporting improved a little bit to get it up to ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Re-Seller
More N-able Remote Monitoring & Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Kaseya VSA
Learn what your peers think about N-able Remote Monitoring & Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.