NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Review

We use it for VMDK files, data stores, and VMs in general.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the IOPS speed, everything that comes with it. It's just a great platform to be on, for example, with VMDK files, data stores, and VMs in general. Users say things like, "What happened? How come it's so fast. What did you do different?"

All the features that we were sold and told about, they all work; it's been good.

How has it helped my organization?

First of all, the cost was a benefit to my organization. The cost was great for us. It just made sense to do it. Then, speed. Then, just overall manageability of the system itself.

What needs improvement?

Higher performance would be an improvement, absolutely.

They could bring the cost down but, as I’ve mentioned, the cost was right for what we needed.

Regarding whether you are happy with the user interface, I think that depends on whether you're used to the CLI or you're used to the GUI. I'm a CLI guy, so I like it.

I've had zero stability or scalability issues.

For the AFF, I haven't had to use technical support; I'm good.

We were on a very old 7-mode system; that's what we migrated from. That was our next step, to stay with ONTAP because we liked the features of ONTAP, and we wanted the speed and performance of the All Flash FAS.

Initial setup was very straightforward, just simple. It wasn't difficult at all.

Follow the instructions. That's all. It's straightforward; it wasn't hard at all.

Pricing was very competitive but right on the mark for us.

Before choosing this product, I also evaluated EMC and Pure. The decision came down to what we were used to managing and what we trusted.

In general, when I’m looking at a vendor to work with, I look for honesty. That's all I look for. I understand they have to make money and I understand we have to spend money to get it, but I don't want to be taken; I don't want to feel like I'm getting taken as it's being sold to me.