NetApp HCI Review

Has a simple setup and the storage and compute are on one deployment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for HCI is for our customer's development team. They're building their own DevOp storage and compute node, so HCI is for the DevOp team to have an area to work with.

What is most valuable?

Simple setup and having the storage and compute right on one deployment is the most valuable aspect of this solution. They're able to get set up and ready to go and start having their DevOp team deploy to that environment.

I'm pretty new to NetApp but the setup was really simple as far as what I could tell. The simplicity of getting it set up and running is what was nice for the customer that I did the setup for.

Its ability to scale on-demand affects provisioning in their organization because now dev can do extra nodes and grow their environment. It's pretty simple.

The solution’s ability to scale compute and storage independently is pretty simple. They have their own development team, so they're able to do their patch releases in the DevOp environment and then do canary deployment into their production to do testing before they deploy the production.

It has reduced the hypervisor footprint. I don't know by how much but our customer does a lot of services and they have three data centers. They're at a pretty large scale but with this deployment, they're looking at reducing the hypervisor footprint down to 50%.

Our customer does not use HCI's Cloud Data Services.

HCI provides efficiencies and mobility similar to that of the public cloud.

It has reduced TCO for their company. That is one of the reasons they went for it.

It stood up and we had no issues during the setup of it. There hasn't been any downtime that I'm aware of.

Our customer can add extra nodes and keep going. I think their plan is to build it out. They have a core in Las Vegas and then they're planning on adding other nodes elsewhere.

The initial setup was very simple. We spent one afternoon there and stood it up and it was ready to go.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate HCI an eight out of ten. Not a perfect ten because there is always room for improvement. They could improve the packaging.

Check out the product, see the capabilities, and compare it to the competitors. It stands up.