Nutanix Review

While the performance is quite good, the initial setup and ongoing administration needed a little more development/maturing.

Valuable Features

I valued the high performance I/O and the high availability (HA).

Room for Improvement

This was a POC and due to the high cost of the solution we did not end up deploying the technology. Also the initial setup, and ongoing administration have room for improvement.

Use of Solution

I used the Nutanix products in a Proof-of-Concept (POC) that we did for addressing performance issues for a Splunk installation. One of the issues was trying to get high I/O performance using VMware guests. Nutanix provided us with a possible solution for our needs. As a result, I was only exposed to the solution for about two to three months during the POC.

With the assistance of a Nutanix resource, we had very little issues with the deployment of the hardware. Our biggest technical hurdle was the networking requirements in order to provide adequate bandwidth for the product.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We did not encounter an issues with scalability.

I was very pleased with the level of customer service and support provided during the POC.

The Nutanix resources provided to us were very knowledgeable about the product.

This was a POC to look for a solution, but we did not have an equivalent solution in place.

The setup was complex and required Nutanix to provide a resource to assist with it. The networking requirements, storage/file system layout and rack space layout added to the level of complexity.

Implementation Team

Nutanix provided a vendor team to assist with all facets of the POC implementation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

As this was a POC there was no cost involved.

Other Solutions Considered

No other products were being reviewed at the time of this POC but we chose not to implement it.

Other Advice

This solution has many advantages, but comes with a cost in dollars and complexity, so make sure you are thorough in your requirements, and that this product meets and exceeds all your short term and long term needs, including your budget.