Nutanix Review

Valuable features include a service portal and self-service restore.

What is most valuable?

• Service portal
  • Self-service restore
  • Single pane of glass for management.

We are a Managed Service Provider and these capabilities make our platform agile and easy to use for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

• Less IT admin
  • More performance
  • More resiliency
  • More protection of data (lots of storage SnapShots with no performance impact)

What needs improvement?

In order to replace massively Install base of VMware vSphere, they need to expand their ecosystem with ISVs (i.e. F5, PaloAlto, Citrix, TrendMicro etc.) in order to provide a wider range of solutions running as a virtual appliance (vApp), just like VMware did years ago. There is currently an ecosystem, but I think it is around 30-40 providers.

So they should expand the eco-system for Virtual Appliances with Acropolis. Network Segmentation is also a must with AHV.

We have used the solution for about 18 months.

We have not encountered any issues with stability.

We have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Technical support is the best.

We previously used legacy infrastructures: EMC, NetApp, and IBM.

The initial setup takes about one hour and then you are done.

I don't have anything special to advise about licensing and pricing.

We evaluated VMware vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid of Acropolis Hypervisor. It is stable and powerful, just as vSphere is.

It has built-in advanced analytics and powerful operations, Self Service Portal and components for DevOps included, managed by a single pane of glass (Prism) via HTML5 and it is free of charge – This is why Nutanix is so advanced and revolutionary.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: As a Managed Service Provider, we have a strong partnership with Nutanix on our platform for evaluation and testing new software releases.