Nutanix Review

​Hyper-convergence Makes The Whole Datacenter Simpler

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-convergence makes the whole datacenter simpler. I don’t need anymore to manage servers, SAN, and storage as I used to, but instead, manage everything from one simple and complete dashboard. I can manage my resources to I get any information I need to monitor and scale.

What is most valuable?

Hypervisor agnostic. I can use VMware or Hyper-V license, if I already have. But if I use a similar solution as Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor (AHV) that comes embedded in Nutanix solution, I can manage all my virtual environments with everything I need without spending more money on licenses.

What needs improvement?

AHV is a great hypervisor but still limited compared to VMware. AHV is the one product they must improve.

I’ve implemented and operated Nutanix in several different situations. Never had an issue in all those cases.

I’ve just scaled such a solution twice and never had a problem. Sometimes I don’t find the new appliances through the web console, but I use CLI for that situation without a problem.

Never used it before.

I work either with Dell EMC VxRail, but this product is tied with VMware ESXi which requires expensive licenses. It is also a great solution if you have already those licenses. VxRail has a limit in scalability (64) in the 3.5 version.

Sometimes I had to install it twice to put on the solution. Errors in the middle of installation require you retry, then it goes well. Other than that, it is very simple and does not requires deep knowledge.

I know Nutanix and VxRail have similar prices and licenses. Nutanix is a go-ahead if AHV is used as hypervisor because it is already embedded in the price.

I have some customers who tried Cisco HyperFlex and HPE HC380 besides VMware vSAN. None of these were so attractive as Nutanix when they compared hypervisor flexibility, scalability, and support.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is the first and the biggest hyper-convergence company in the world. VxRail is also a great solution as well as HPE SimpliVity, but regarding to scalability and TCO, I think Nutanix is unbeatable at this moment.

Regarding Dell EMC having a main hyper-convergence solution VCE as VxRail, Nutanix is the best seller.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

How long Nutanix could stay on top?

21 August 17
Alfred MenaUser

It's not only staying on top. It's all what Nutanix is building around the infrastructure..

21 August 17