OptiView XG Review

This helps us narrow down if an issue is a network or application problem.

What is most valuable?

I use it most for data capture or to troubleshoot issues on the production floor, because of intermittent issues we're having with communications, not knowing if it's a network problem or an application issue, and this helps us narrow it down.

How has it helped my organization?

When there's an issue of communication, data being dropped, we can prove the network that provided it. That allows the developers or software engineers to work on finding the solution in their area. It tells them that it's in that section. It defines the problem area.

What needs improvement?

The biggest one I can think of right now is probably training. We did have people attend training, but they weren't overly impressed with the training. Other sessions I have taken were OK, but when we first got it they were not thrilled with the instructor.

The reports I got back from the guys I sent to training said the guy spent more time telling stories, war stories and that type, rather than actual training about the product. They got, I won't say turned off, as it was fun at first they said, but they didn't get that much out of the training. Most of the time it was self-learning. I took an online one and that was very good. They went to the class in person.

We've had it about two years, but I'm not the main user.

Everything is just fine.

We haven't seen any limitations scaling it.

I'm not the main user of it, but I would say it's good. We're not having problems with it.

We used different solutions, such as Wireshark, but they had limitations. This brought everything to one solution.

It depends on how far into it you want to get. I have not gone that far, but I understood it. It takes some setup to get done, to run a whole network, but we're just slowly adding into it. Discovery of devices, that type of stuff was simple, but it only discovered local devices.

More OptiView XG reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, Zabbix, Nagios and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.