OptiView XG Review

When I plug it into a router or switch, it maps my entire network.

Valuable Features

I like the fact that it can map my whole network when I plug it into my router, my switch, that it can literally discover nodes and clients. That's very helpful, and then drill down to the switch.

Improvements to My Organization

If I'm looking for a client, if I have a MAC address, I can punch in the MAC address and it'll direct me to the switch and the port without me having to home to the switch itself. It can home my whole network, more or less, and find exactly where this MAC address is at. Basically, it streamlines troubleshooting and finding troublesome clients.

Room for Improvement

It didn't used to support 10-gig fiber, which it does now. There wasn't a fiber module, which there is now. It ties into all of your other products, as well, so I'm actually pretty pleased with the product.

Use of Solution

I don't currently use it, but I have a lot of experience with it, over five years. I used it a couple of times a month.

I had some issues with discovery, but it did not crash during those five years.

I did not encounter any scalability issues. It can handle a load.

I believe I asked for help once and they were helpful. I had trouble turning a feature on or something and they helped me navigate through it.

I did not previously use a different solution. Prior to OptiView, we did not have a tool of this magnitude or this type, so this was the first tool of this type that I've used and I haven't used any competitors.

Initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't tough at all.

Other Advice

You need to be familiar with networking. Some people think you can just kind of plug it in. If you're a PC guy, then you can learn it but you need to understand networking protocols. Basically, have a good solid understanding of networking infrastructure before you purchase this powerful tool.