Oracle Database In-Memory Review

We meet our SLAs because of the performance and speed. I can call support anytime.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the performance and speed.

How has it helped my organization?

The key thing for us is that we can meet our customer SLAs because of the performance and the response time we get.

The second thing is, personally, being a database person, I like Oracle Database In-Memory because of the backing of the support. If something goes wrong, I can call support anytime. That's one of the key reasons.

What needs improvement?

A lot of new technologies have been coming in to the market in recent years. For example, SPARC, and other analytics languages. Most of the legacy databases don’t have that good connections or connectors to those. It's still a challenge to efficiently use them. I don't know about small data, but we have large data. Especially, if you have a large data, then it's not very efficient. We don't have the tweaks to buffer it or stream it properly. Those are the kinds of things I think could be done.

Stability has been pretty OK. There have been some issues. Support was able to help us out with some configuration.

It scales well for our needs.

I've been an Oracle customer with different companies. I’ve worked with them for almost 10 years now. One of the key things that stands out for Oracle is the support, because I also work with other database vendors. That's the biggest differentiator. Even if I have some issue when I get up at 1 AM, I know I can call on support and I know I'll be able to get my problem solved.

We looked at other vendors before we started using this product, but because we were already an Oracle customer, using their database, it made sense to be in Oracle In-Memory.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest looking mostly at the interfaces; that is the key. Even if the performance is good, but the interfaces are not right, to the application or to the front end, that could be an issue.

We’re really happy with Oracle Database In-Memory.