Oracle Java DB Review

A relational database management system that's very clever and object-oriented

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Java DB is one of the databases we use, and we use quite a few databases. It's either Oracle or Microsoft SQL Database or MySQL. We've been doing it for many years, but all our clients work on different databases. They use non-transactional and non-relational databases. One of our clients also uses MongoDB.

Oracle Java DB isn't used much as many of our clients use Microsoft SQL Server Database. We have a client in the healthcare space that is using it, and we use this for storing all the information of this space.

What is most valuable?

It's very clever. Oracle Java is one of the first object-oriented languages that we've had. A lot of the data and the languages are in Python. I think the concept is the same. But Oracle Java is very object-oriented. I think Java was one of the first to come out with object-orientation. I used Java to develop the APIs, and it's recommended, and we use it.

What needs improvement?

It'll be better if Oracle Java supports open source technologies, like Node.js. Many APIs can be developed in applications like Node.js, and it's a lot easier to use a programming language like Node.js because it's totally open-source and available. It also has a lot of APIs that I can download and access from anywhere.

You can, of course, use microservices, but I think the marketing around microservices products isn't working, and a lot of folks seem to be using Node.js and Angular as their programming languages for API development.

Oracle Java also supports a lot of the microservices concepts, and a lot of the work can be done within that. Java needs to come out with a lot more and let us do more with the UI. This will benefit the future of Java.

We have been using Oracle Java DB for many years.

Oracle Java DB is very stable.

It's scalable, but it depends on how you deploy it. As long as you're not using monolithic applications, it's scalable.

Technical support has been very clear and convenient, and we can always reach out to them.

The initial setup is easy, and the deployment time is really nothing.

Quite a few clients would look at Python or Node.js. If you take Python as an example, it also supports machine learning.

What other advice do I have?

This is a fairly stable language, and it's been in the market for several years. In fact, it's been around since about 1995, when the concept of object orientation started. People should use it because it's clever.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Java DB a nine.

More Oracle Java DB reviews from users
...who compared it with MySQL
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Apache, Microsoft and others in Relational Databases. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.