Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

The most valuable feature for us was the speed of setup.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us was the speed of setup. From zero to mere minutes, I can have something working.

Improvements to My Organization

It's nice that we can use it on Linux as we use it on Windows.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see phpVirtualBox integration or something like that. VM Virtualbox lacks this feature and it would be nice to have web remote access on it.

Use of Solution

I've used it for many years. I think I started with v2 or v3.

I think Linux had a little problem installing it, but nothing so important that I remember the specific problem.

There is an issue with stability only when I used it with phpVirtualBox.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never had to contact tech support, as the documentation was enough for me.

The initial setup was very simple.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

ROI

As it's very simple and documentation is available, there are no problems with ROI in general.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There is the enterprise version, which I did not test because I did not need it. I remember that it was an interesting way to bulk sell about 50 or 100 licenses at one time. Of course, the price was way over what I had in mind to do with Virtualbox, so I just skipped. I think, also, that the open source version will cover all your needs until you need 50-100 licenses.

Other Advice

It's excellent for the speed of setup, to install/deploy/test things, but for serious work I prefer to work on Proxmox. I just loved it.