Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

It is great for creating test environments, and saves a lot of time.

What is our primary use case?

I use it to test new technologies on my desktop. I also teach virtual machines, so I give demos or training programs. I can show people how servers work. So I use it for training purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

The features that VirtualBox offers me are the same as VMware or Hyper-V. They create a snapshot of virtual machines so you can create test environments. You can go back to the original machine and you don't have to reinstall and do all of the work again. It saves you a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

It is great for creating test environments.

What needs improvement?

The user interface I find to be lacking. If you compare it with VMware or Hyper-V,  you have lots of room for improvement. I think that VirtualBox should be more user-friendly.

Three to five years.

Sometimes it is not quite good. I have to research answers to re-stabilize the product I would give it a rating of eight out of ten in terms of stability.

It is very good. I think there is a lot of things you can do with it. But as I said, I've been using it for production only for desktops and test purposes and training purposes. I think if we hire more employees in the company, we will have them use it as well. It is free when you use it for desktop purposes and training purposes. As long as you're not using it for production, you don't have to pay for it. I think as long as we get new employees in our company they most likely will be using VirtualBox.

The tech support is very good. I would rate it nine out of ten.

The user interface I find to be the, lacking something say.  If you compare it with VMware or Hyper-V, the Oracle VirtualBox you has lots room for improvement

To install the VirtualBox it doesn't take much. In 10 minutes you
are done. But to create the virtual machines, you have to create the virtual
machine, create the upper tier storage, create all the installations of the
operating system and  applications you want to put on the virtual machine. That
takes some time. It also takes patience to work on each machine. You must determine which installations go first, and which are easiest to create.

Pricing does not apply for us, we do not have to pay for the service.

I do use Hyper-V and VMware. But, if you are using VMware for your desktop, and you want a management consult, you have to pay for it and it's pricey. And, Hyper-V's management is not really that great. But, Oracle VirtualBox is a perfect fit for us. You don't pay for it, and it doesn't really ask too much from your computer. For instance, if I had installed Hyper-V on my computer and I want to use Oracle VirtualBox, I don't have to change the settings on the computer. If I start VirtualBox, I can use anything else without any problems. I find that VirtualBox gives me more advantages than the other products.