OWASP Zap Review

Great at reporting vulnerabilities, helps with security, and reveals development threats well

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we build our products for the banking industry and use this solution in that process.

From a development cycle, we update the SQL injections that basically shows what a developer may have to address. Then, if there is still a problem, we're concerned at the architect level. That's at least initially reported by the customers when they do another round of review after we deliver our code.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good at reporting the vulnerabilities of the application.

It can help us with security, SQL injection vulnerability, known vulnerabilities, et cetera. Any kind of a threat that we get in the development cycle, is what we will look for. This solution helps us find them.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall any features that are lacking. In my role as a service provider, I only go up to standards defined by somebody else. So far, this solution has met their standards.

So far I've not come across a scenario where we had to do anything that's a major rework due to the fact that we didn't catch something soon enough in the queries that we are using.

It would be ideal if I could try some pre-built deployment scenarios so that I don't have to worry about whether the configuration sector team is doing it right or wrong. That would be very helpful.

Right now, I can't give it off to a team and expect them to give me a report that I'm happy with. I will give it to a team and they will have to have another person sit with them to make sure they have configured it right. Some kind of pre-designed templates, pre-designed guidelines, or patterns to compliment the tool would go a long way in helping us use the solution.

I've been using the solution for five or six years at this point.

From the perspective of the development cycle that we use, we find it stable enough. I don't use it in production or I don't have to update sites running all the time. Once a week when I will build a VM pack, I push into another environment, and that's probably the time I would make it. For me, I find it to be stable enough.

I haven't really used technical support. Therefore, I can't really speak to their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

I'm not a security specialist, however, to be clear, we provide services. On a development project, we frequently run into various solutions. It's not just OWASP. It could be Veracode, for example, or multiple other tools.

The initial setup is not necessarily straightforward. Most are complex. You need a senior person to specialize, understand the set up in which they are running, and understand the tools they are going to use. You need to ask: do they know what to look for and support? I wouldn't say it's complex to use. That said, normally the resources are costly.

In security, you'd expect the product is priced at a premium, so people don't check the pricing for the most part. In my case, I don't buy the product myself. I have the customers buy it for me. I'm not very worried about the price as a consultant.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IT service provider, which means that we use a variety of tools based on what our customer preferences are.

There's all, at most, I would say, about 20 companies that we would have the funds to use the solution with. OWASP is definitely in the top three as a tool that we would probably recommend to our team, as a frequent users' tool, however, I don't believe we have any kind of a formal relationship with the company.

Multiple teams use it. I have not heard of anybody complaining about anything to do with this particular solution. I would say it's pretty good. I would give it a rating of eight out of ten.

More OWASP Zap reviews from users