Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Review

Easy to implement, has a unique DNS security capability, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Palo Alto K2-Series is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our clients for this work in a variety of sectors.

What is most valuable?

Palo Alto has a unique solution for DNS security, which is very good. It includes signatures for the domains and machine learning functionality. It is currently the most popular feature for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The URL Filtering module needs to have more categories added to it.

The concept of clustering would be of benefit to Palo Alto and it would make it more productive. For example, with Forcepoint, you can cluster two different products.

We have seen no issues with stability.

Scalability is good.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

I am also familiar with the next-generation firewall solution by Forcepoint.

Palo Alto is similar to other commercial firewalls but it has two unique functions. First, the engine is very sophisticated and well suited to the epicenter. It also has good performance. The second area that is unique is DNS Security.

I am familiar with Fortinet products and they are also very good, but they are cheaper than Palo Alto.

The initial setup is straightforward.

While the firewall itself is on-premises, some of the services such as DNS Security and WildFire are cloud-based options that depend on a public cloud or the Palo Alto cloud. There are also options such as Cortext XDR, which has traps that extend to the cloud.

Pricing is a sensitive issue because the cost is high in this market. If the price were reduced then it would be very good because it will be more competitive with vendors such as Fortinet. In fact, I would say that pricing is the weakest point of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Palo Alto Networks K2-Series reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks K2-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.