Palo Alto Threat Prevention Review

Excellent application control and vulnerability protection but it's a very expensive solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for application control and encryption.

What is most valuable?

The application control and vulnerability protection are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The IPS can be improved on the solution.  The itineration, for example. Also, if additional features, like SD Wan, etc. can be added. This would be helpful.

Other additional features that could be added include Individual Traps. In terms of enhancement for overall protection, we would like more Traps or other solutions that are developing within the firewall.

The solution needs to improve its local technical support services. There is no premium support offered in our market.

I've been using the solution since 2008.

The solution is very stable. We've used it a number of years and never had any problems. However, only just recently, we found a bug on the model 2220. Other than that, the solution is quite stable.

The scalability of the solution is very good. In our company, we have about 2,000 users.

Technical support is okay, but we have an issue here in terms of local support and company support. Palo Alto doesn't provide premium support directly. It forces us to use third-party support and local distributors. Sometimes it's difficult for us to communicate and get support.

One of the reasons that our clients choose Palo Alto is because they have complex networks, therefore the setup is typically also complex.

Compared to other security offerings, Palo Alto is very expensive. Palo Alto also doesn't offer many discounts. They may discount as much as 15%. However, in comparison, Cisco can give a discount of up to 85%.

What other advice do I have?

We work with the public and private cloud as well as the on-premises deployment models. Our role is to implement security solutions at our customer's premises. The deployment depends on the infrastructure.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten. As a next-generation IPS, it's a very good firewall. I would recommend it.