SAS Enterprise Miner Review

Good for modeling and data mining but needs to show development history

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for modeling and a lot of business processes with lots of data.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good for data mining or any mining issues.

What needs improvement?

We are using a very old version of SAS Miner, so I'm not sure if my opinions would be relevant for many people as they may be out-of-date.

From my point of view, a useful feature that we need from this tool is a history of development. When a user develops a model, each step of development requires new steps, and we want to be able to audit all these steps due to our regulatory requirements in model development. In SAS, we just copy via a screenshot from the system and put it in some document that covers the relevant stage. I know other systems have a feature to audit all steps to show what the user has done through the entire process of developing a model. It would be a time saver for us.

The preparation of both the mining and modeling process could be improved. The solution requires data and will reflect data, but the preparation of the data is not useful for end-users. We ended up having to do the preparation in another tool.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is very stable, but we do have some problems with discrepancies involving SAS not matching with the latest Java versions. It's not stable in cases where SAS tries to run on a different version because SAS doesn't connect with the latest Java update. Once a month we need to restart systems from scratch.

I've never contacted SAS technical support as I'm not part of the technical department team. There's another department in our company that handles this.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You just have to install it on the server and the users can connect to the server to access it.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the on-premises deployment model, however recently we switched solutions and now we are using FICO instead of SAS.

I'd recommend an open-source product over SAS, as I believe them to be the future.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.