SAS Enterprise Miner Review

Good stability, very good data analysis tool pack and excellent documentation

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used in any domain, including banking, insurance, health care, partitions, classifications, etc. It's basically a complete solution, that helps with data client consolidation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a VSL service provider, so improvement to an organization depends on how the client designs the implementation for the plan. Clients would be better reviewers of how the solution has improved their organizations.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features, especially on the data analysis tool pack, are really good. The way they do clustering and output is great. You can do fairly elaborate outputs. The results, the ensembles, all of these, are fantastic.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be faster.

Virtualization could be much better.

The solution could add some freeware. The text analytics, for example, aren't there in the VSL version. It requires a separate license. It should be included in the main solution's license as it's a basic requirement. It's shouldn't cost extra.

I've been working with the solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is good. We've never found any issues. It's compatible through any open-source solution. It's also very flexible for us to use in any of the parameters, unlike a few other professional products that we have used. With RedHat, for example, there is not the flexibility of changing the parameters and we are forced to use one or two version features.

I haven't tried to scale because we don't have an extensive user base, so I can't speak to scalability.

We haven't been in touch with technical support, but the documentation is quite elaborate, so I don't believe we'll need to reach out to them that much.

We previously used IBM products. This solution is more flexible and robust.

The initial setup was complex, but the support for the solution is good, so it was an okay implementation.

Deployment times vary. If there's a device, the SAS administrator can set it up pretty fast. Otherwise, for a first time user, it takes a while. Having administrator services helps a lot.

The solution is quite expensive. The pricing is too high.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a SAS Enterprise Miner certified professional. I'm both a consultant and a user of the solution.

Our company is using the on-premises deployment model, although we mostly use in-house products. I use the desktop version for our clients. We might use the Cloud, depending on what the client is comfortable with. Most of our clients are enterprises.

I'd advise others considering implementing the solution to look at the costs and licensing to see if it is within your organization's budget.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More SAS Enterprise Miner reviews from users