SolarWinds MSP Backup & Recovery Review

Good performance, automation, and monitoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We have an RDS farm and we use SolarWinds for backing up the central storage. We also use it to back up the profiles and other related data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation.

The monitoring makes it very easy to check whether a backup has gone bad.

The performance has been pretty good.

The recoverability seems to be fairly good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with a hybrid cloud is something that I found complicated. Ultimately, we backed away from this approach because of the difficulty that we were having. It may have been related to the firewall setting or other things, but we did not figure it out because it was too complicated for the amount of time that we had budgeted to work on it.

There have been a couple of times when we noticed that it is consuming too much CPU time, although we have been able to mitigate that.

I have been using this backup and recovery solution for between two and three years.

Adding another virtual server is very easy to do.

I have not been in contact with technical support myself.

For us, the initial setup was pretty straightforward. We do not host this solution ourselves. We use a service that is hosted by our provider.

The pricing of SolarWinds seems to be fair compared to the rest of the industry.

What other advice do I have?

For us, this product works well. Our use case is fairly simple and it covers exactly what we need. I recommend using it, especially for an on-premises deployment. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is that it might be perfect as a cloud-based solution, but you may need some time to figure it out. I think that it should be just as easy on the cloud as it is on-premises. As a hybrid model, I think that it makes sense.

More SolarWinds MSP Backup & Recovery reviews from users