SonarQube Review

Easy to deploy and applicable for various uses

What is our primary use case?

I am now working in a consultancy company and I work with different clients in different industries. For this reason I implement, for example, a delivery pipeline with the process whereby we need to validate the quality gate of the quality code. Meaning, the developer creates the unit testing and the code coverage, but grants the code coverage for a specific person. In other cases, we used to see what the technical depth was to see if if there are any bugs in the applications - the web application, mobile application and different languages, like, C-Sharp, JavaScript or Java, et cetera.

We deploy SonarQube on-premise on a Linux server and our pipelines were created with GitLab and Azure DevOps. Meaning that Azure DevOps and GitLab are the tools that do the build and release process.

We use Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform a little.

What is most valuable?

In terms of most valuable feature, when you compute SonarQube you need to install an extension. This extension depends on the version control. You need to install different extensions or work with a specific language to use as the extensions, all of which I work in with different projects.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, the areas that need more attention in the solution are its architecture and development.

Additionally, the QA team also needs work in different aspects. When you think about the support area - when the support team has an incident they need to do a hostage. When they do that they do a commit in the version control. These commits trigger a new build process and this process needs validation from SonarQube because we need to validate the quality of the software product for different cases and different aspects.

I have been using SonarQube for about four years, with different versions.

SonarQube works very well, but I prefer SonarCloud because the tendency of the technology world is to think less about the structure and more about the process and the value that this process provides.

In terms of scalability, with proper configuration and deployment, there is higher availability.

I have companies with 20 users and I have customers with 100 users. We work with a big company in Chile and in some cases national companies, in other cases international companies. With the international companies the majority of them are more than 1,000 users.

I have a technical DevOps team. The majority of the time we implement the trial version so that we show the value of the tool to our clients and they understand about the pricing and the cost of the tool.

It depends on the maturity of the company. In some case, we have companies that don't know about SonarQube so we deploy it to show the value. In other cases we have clients with no SonarQube experience but they know the quality of the codes. In this case we provide a license. In the majority of the cases we provide the license or the subscription for SonarCloud. Other clients get access to SonarQube directly.

I have never used technical support from the SonarQube support team.

I work very well with the documentation you find on the internet.

The initial setup is straightforward the majority of time. It takes about two hours.

I work in a consultancy company so we do the implementation. We deploy for our customers.

We did evaluate other options, for example Q1 and Veracode. In specific cases we created different aspects with different tools and these were the top peers that we would compare it to - Q1 and Veracode.

In terms of differences, Veracode is used more for the security of the development and you can configure the gates while thinking about software security and things like that. With Q1, the difference is the type of the license. In Q1 you have projects and you pay for the line. I know that SonarQube was changing the licensing plan. Right now, before you pay for a license, you pay for fair lines that you extend. This is the difference between these three tools.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend SonarQube because it is an easy tool that you can deploy and configure. After that you can measure the history of your obligation and integrate it with other tools like GitLab or GitHub or Azure DevOps to do quality code analysis.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SonarQube an eight. To give it a 10 and not an eight, I would like to see architecture development and the QA area improved.

Hybrid Cloud
More SonarQube reviews from users
...who compared it with Checkmarx
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.