SonarQube Review

Very stable and easy to integrate, but is a bit expensive

What is our primary use case?

We generally use the solution in order to do static code analysis.

What is most valuable?

What I like about SonarQube is the integration of the pipelines. It is pretty easy.

The reporting and the results are quick. It gets integrated within the pipeline well.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is very good.

We found the initial setup to be straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a very shallow SAST scanning. That is something that can be improved.

I'm not sure if there is any plan for having DAST, as well, which is the dynamic scanning. If they offered that in SonarQube that would be ideal. I'd like to know if there is a plan or roadmap for Sonar to have that included. However, right now, at least, from the SAST perspective, it can improve.

The pricing could be reduced a bit. It's a little expensive.

We've been using the solution for the past two years or so. It's been a while.

The solution is pretty much stable. Sometimes we have observed some issues when there are a lot of services getting deployed together. We have noticed some resource constraints sometimes. Occasionally the CPU and memory get affected. That was the only thing. It could be due to the resources that we have provided and maybe not the fault of the product itself.

I don't have the user count, however, from the application perspective, we have around 30 to 50 applications, which are on SonarQube. All of the teams that are managing those applications have access to that.

It is integrated within our pipelines. It gets used every day.

Right now we are not scaling the solution. It is just one server that we have. It is static of sizing and we do not scale it.

We do have an enterprise version, however, that does not include the support right now.

If we have any issues we're trying to resolve them on your own. So far, that has been sufficient.

We are also onboarding Checkmarx. We use both solutions.

We are not replacing anything. Maybe we will use both in conjunction. Checkmarx provides DAST, whereas this product does not.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

I do not recall the exact amount of time it took to deploy the solution.

It does not require a lot of maintenance. It's just that whenever any latest version is coming in, we just have to upgrade it.

We did the installation on our own. We did not need the assistance of any outside resources such as consultants or integrtors. It was all handled in-house.

What we are looking at in the future is a bit of a price reduction. The pricing that we have been quoted for the next version is a little expensive. The pricing could be also a bit reduced.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

While we installed the solution on the cloud, we host it on our machines.

I would recommend the product to the companies or the teams who are building from scratch, and they don't have anything for doing the scanning of their products. That is something where SonarQube can be pretty helpful.

It's good for a very small company with a limited number of products, which do not have a lot of compliance and security-related requirements that big enterprises might have.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

7.9
More SonarQube reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Fortify Application Defender
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.