SonarQube Review

Helps in improving the coding style and allows us to customize the rules

What is our primary use case?

I have used it in my previous company. In my current company, which I have joined recently, we don't use any of these tools. That's why I want to implement something for the company. I have the Community Edition of SonarQube. I am using one version prior to the latest one.

It was integrated with our build pipeline, and we had also customized the rules for the quality gate. For each release that got through SonarQube, it gave the results in terms of whether it was releasable or not.

SLA was another use case. We internally had a rule that in case there are severity defects, they need to be fixed. If there is a false positive, it needs to be justified. That's the way it was used.

What is most valuable?

It assists during the development with SonarLint and helps the developer to change his approach or rather improve his coding pattern or style. That's one advantage I've seen. Another advantage is that we can customize the rules.

I did an evaluation of the Enterprise Edition. It has the Portfolio view, which means you can roll up all your projects to the Portfolio level, and then it gives a visualization of each and every project's state in terms of security and other vulnerabilities.

What needs improvement?

It is very expensive. That's something that can be improved.

I'm not sure if the latest vulnerabilities are being updated. When I compare it with Fortify on Demand (FoD), every now and then, they get all the latest and greatest versions for all these vulnerabilities as a rule pack. I'm not very sure about how that works in SonarQube, and how frequently they are updating the vulnerability databases and other things.

Their dashboarding is very limited. They can improve their dashboards for multiple areas, such as security review, maintainability, etc. They have all this information, so they should publish all this information on the dashboard so that the users can view the summary and then analyze it further. This is something that I would like to see in the next version.

The portfolio-level dashboard is currently available only in the Enterprise Edition. They can have a similar dashboard in the Community Edition or at least in the Developer Edition. The portfolio-level dashboard is also very limited currently. There is hardly one report.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It looks stable. So far, we haven't found any issues.

I contacted them once or twice. I am very satisfied with their support. I didn't have any concerns in terms of support.

It is straightforward. It takes very little time as compared to the other solutions.

It is very expensive. Its price should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked on only two tools: one is Fortify on Demand, and the other one is SonarQube. Comparing these two, I would rate SonarQube an eight out of 10.

8.x
More SonarQube reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Fortify Application Defender
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.