SonicWall Netextender Review

Works without any issues and provides good control over routing

What is our primary use case?

NetExtender is for client VPN. Users can use it to connect through a VPN and remotely access the internet services.

What is most valuable?

NetExtender works very well. I never had an issue with it, and it has been working well for me.

In terms of management, you have good control over the destination. You can use NetExtender to set the policy and the static route for a client. You can modify it based on what your client needs or can access. You have good control over routing.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall can be difficult for some people, but I don't find it difficult. Some companies provide a VPN client for free, but you have to pay for NetExtender.

I have been using this solution for around five years.

I can't say much about stability. I have multiple firewalls from the same company. If one firewall is down, I can connect to another firewall.

I never had to call their technical support for NetExtender. In general, like every firewall company, it depends on who you're talking to. Sometimes, you get good support, and sometimes, you don't get good support, and you have to force them to do something more because they just keep on saying that it is not just this. It is also this and that. You have to force them to go in one direction. I have had the same experience with Fortinet.

NetExtender is easy to install. You go to the SonicWall website and download NetExtender. If you are not sure about the setup options, you just keep on clicking on yes. All the configuration is automatically done.

Its setup is done inside the SonicWall router. Some people don't like SonicWall because they find it too complicated, but I like it. You get more granular control on everything and have to do more things, which makes it complicated, but I prefer it being complicated. I don't like not having enough options. If there are 100 options, I will study them one by one and use them, but for some people, it can be too complicated when there are too many options.

You have to pay for its license. There are some other companies that provide a VPN client for free. When you buy NetExtender, its license is available for one, three, or five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonicWall NetExtender an eight out of ten.

10.2.302
More SonicWall Netextender reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiClient
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall Netextender. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.