SonicWall NSA Review

Regularly updated signatures for IPS, Application Control, and Web Content filter

What is our primary use case?

Our operation depends heavily on Internet access and we depend on a solution that can provide us with productivity and security for the continuity of our business.
With this need, we implemented a SonicWall NSA firewall to control all access to and from the Internet.

How has it helped my organization?

With the deployment of the SonicWall NSA solution, we never suffered a problem due to invasion or contamination of any kind.

The solution always responded very efficiently, delivering us:

• High productivity in our operation through access control capabilities;
  • Security for our information with advanced deep inspection features, including SSL traffic.

What is most valuable?

This solution has always delivered us security features with great efficiency like:

• Web content filter with a very extensive and always updated database;
  • IPS with an extensive list of signature attacks;
  • Anti-virus system with cloud sandbox that inspects 'file-less' attacks and delivers only after the verdict;
  • Real time flow inspection system;
  • Application Control with an extensive list of signatures;
  • DPI-SSL inspection in the data layer;
  • SSO with LDAP directory services.

What needs improvement?

The solution was deployed to suit all areas of the company.

This product is unable to secure access to endpoints for our external employees. Our next plan will be to deploy a solution for visibility and control of 'shadow IT' applications and also to provide security for accesses outside our company. We plan to use another solution from SonicWall, such as Cloud App Security (CASB), to meet the needs of our external employees.

Eleven years.

The solution has always been very stable and efficient.

My impression is that the solution is quite scalable.

Support services are categorized by the criticality level. We had a few critical events, but each was attended quickly and efficiently.

Before this solution, we used Microsoft Forefront TMG Server.

We migrated because the solution was proxy-based and did not have the features of NG firewalls.

Initially, we had to review our security policy and this was the stage that involved the highest level of complexity.

With the policy defined according to our needs, the initial configuration of the solution was simple, but obviously, because it is an advanced-level security solution, it must be implemented by a specialized professional.

The solution was implemented by our internal team. Our team participated in an official solution training prior to deployment.

This question is very relative as we are dealing with an asset. But for our business, it was positive for a short period of time.

In our evaluation, we found that the costs of deploying the solution, and also purchasing the hardware and licenses, were very attractive.

The ratio of costs vs efficiency of SonicWall products is very good.

We did not test other solutions.