SonicWall NSa Overview

SonicWall NSa is the #15 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Meraki MX: SonicWall NSa vs Meraki MX

What is SonicWall NSa?
Achieve a deeper level of security with the SonicWALL Network Security Appliance (NSA) Series of next-generation firewalls. NSA Series appliances integrate automated and dynamic security capabilities into a single platform, combining the patented, SonicWALL Reassembly Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) firewall engine with a powerful, massively scalable, multi-core architecture. Now you can block even the most sophisticated threats with an intrusion prevention system (IPS) featuring advanced anti-evasion capabilities, SSL decryption and inspection, and network-based malware protection that leverages the power of the cloud.

SonicWall NSa is also known as NSA 250M, NSA 2600, NSA 3600, NSA 4600, NSA 5600, Dell SonicWALL NSA.

SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

SonicWall NSa Customers
Orange County Rescue Mission, First Source, Michaels & Taylor, Green Clinic Health System, Aspire Chiltern Skills and Enterprise Centre, UnitedStack, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, Celtic Manor Resort, Star Kay White, Air Works, Unimat Life, NHS Yorkshire and Humber Commissioning Support (YHCS), Hutt City Council, Mato Grosso do Sul, Nspyre
SonicWall NSa Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall NSa pricing:
  • "Licensed features provide application control, content filtering, antivirus, and anti-malware all in a single appliance."
  • "The CPUs are not able to compete with a similar price point to the Fortinet, WatchGuard, or Palo Alto product."
  • "A firewall doing anti-spam might be a low cost solution, but it is not your best strategy."
  • "You need their analyzer to properly generate reports. This is an expensive, licensed feature, with a complex application or appliance back-end."
  • "While I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I would estimate the licensing package was about $15,000 to $20,000 a year."
  • "SonicWall still is only a dollar or Euro per gigabit. This means, of the IPsec, it's the cheapest solution."
  • "It would be better if it has a better price, but its price is okay considering the benefits that you receive."

MN
Tech Specialist at Select Softwares
A rugged solution capable of defeating advanced threats

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I work with a software dealer in the IT security business. I deployed SonicWall for a customer just last month.

• "It's very simple to use and the support is great."
  • "They should consider upgrading the capabilities within the GUI."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SonicWall for their simplicity of use, but if you can configure SonicWall, have a look at Sophos also. Sophos has put a lot of hard work into their connections and the GUI. SonicWall's GUI is slightly lacking compared to Sophos' GUI; however, capabilities-wise, Sophos doesn't have a lead over SonicWall. If I had to make a recommendation to a customer, I would tell them to look at both products. I would push the Sophos box because it has certain advantages, technologically, compared to SonicWall. For example, they have their own antivirus solution — the Sophos…
SSL
Senior IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
User
Weak firewall. Licensing mechanism is a trap. Woefully inadequate VPN clients and methods. Look elsewhere

What is our primary use case?

Firewall/VPN appliance for SMB clients. Firewall provides advanced threat protection to internal hosts. It also provides a secure mechanism for remote access.

• "It allows us to block applications, i.e., websites by application type category. It is far more capable than content filtering alone."
  • "Support has improved dramatically since their separation from Dell."
  • "Setup is easy. Anyone with basic firewall experience can do it."
  • "The anti-spam requires a specific Java version on the server side (do not update it, otherwise it will break)."
  • "They are not ready for managed security services. Their Cloud GMS product is weak, barely out of beta (buggy)."
  • "Do not even consider NetExtender - probably one of the most horrific, nightmare grade Java-based VPN clients. We have but all given up trying to make it work reliably."

What other advice do I have?

Avoid this company. They have no idea what they are doing, except a slick marketing campaign. They don't listen to their customers. The only evolution of the product in the last few years was a slight redesign of the web interface and DNS proxy. They will push their SonicWall "Capture" but this has nothing to do with the Firewall product itself, it is a windows based NextGen A/V based on Sentinal with ATP.
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CR
Systems network admin at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
Unstable, expensive, and technical support is too slow to respond

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution from our firewall endpoint VPN. It does have a spam filter, SSL, DPI, and numerous other security features. We've got the full license suite.

• "The DPI-SSL is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's handy."
  • "We're not particularly fond of the way it generally performs. We are finding ourselves rebooting often. There are freeze-ups and that kind of thing. The stability needs to improve exponentially."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We are currently using the NSA 4600. It's a full security appliance. We're using the latest version of the solution. It's our primary firewall/VPN endpoint. It's used 24/7, 365. Due to the nature of our work, uptime is critical. Ultimately, if you were to ask me if I were to recommend this device, I would say no. I'd rate the solution at a three out of ten, simple due to the fact that the stability isn't there, and it's an expensive solution.
MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Easy to scale, offers good value for money, and has good policies

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just for IPsec tunnels. It's two routers between locations with IPsec tunnels, nothing more. We don't use their firewall capabilities.

• "The functionality is the same whether it is on hardware or a virtual appliance. The interface is the same. It's nice that it's standardized."
  • "Some of the configurations could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I tell everybody, if your business is a lot of locations and not so many personal policies, to check the SonicWall portfolio. You can configure it with two boxes and if you need to you can scale it without any trouble into the tens or hundreds. In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
AM
Manager with 51-200 employees
Good content filtering but needs better software and has a faulty DPI SSL feature

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a perimeter firewall for a gateway toward public internet traffic. Basically, it is a gateway between our internal network and public traffic.

• "The basic firewall rules of the solution are great."
  • "The product has a lot of bugs, actually. We are facing some issues with this product. The DPI SSL feature which is there, it is not working properly."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SonicWall. I wouldn't recommend the solution, actually. It's hard to set up and the stability takes a while to establish. They need to do better on their software side, and other solutions, like Sophos, have more flexibility in their configuration capabilities. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
JV
Director Comercial at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable and easy to deploy with useful deep packet inspection and intelligent application control features

What is our primary use case?

We use it to secure the perimeter of our company. We use all the integrated features of this Next-Generation Firewall. We are using NSA 3650.

• "Deep packet inspection and intelligent application control are the most valuable features. It is a very updated solution. It is very current as compared to other brands and vendors."
  • "I would like to have a built-in vulnerability scanner in the firewall. It would be great to have such functionality. Its price could also be better. It would also be good to have a local warehouse. It doesn't get damaged a lot, but if a customer needs a replacement, currently, it has to come from Miami or Mexico, which can take a few days. It would be better if they have a local warehouse from where we can just pick replacements and quickly solve a client's needs in terms of replacing equipment. It would be great to have it locally instead of waiting for it from Mexico or the USA."

What other advice do I have?

The operating system of all boxes is pretty much the same for enterprises as well as small businesses. It has the same behavior from the smallest model to the biggest one, which is a major advantage of SonicWall. I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.
AA
Director of IT at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Easy to configure and maintain with the capability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for just securing our users and creating a LAN through VPN tunnels. We use it to provide remote access to a cloud service.

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is its ability to work like any other firewall."
  • "We still get phishing emails that manage to come through from time to time."

What other advice do I have?

The version we are using is NSA 20 or 60. If a company is looking for a good product that's easy to configure, I would suggest they consider SonicWall. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If we didn't have that trouble with the VPN tunnel, I would give it a perfect score.
DW
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A reliable firewall but other options should be considered

What is our primary use case?

Mainly our customers use this solution as a general firewall. Currently, our most popular firewall is Fortinet FortiGate 40F. We do have all the way up to 100's, but most of our customers are small, medium-sized businesses. We have a FortiAnalyzer that resides on Azure and we're getting a FortiManager because of the new capability to roll them out based on the serial number With FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer, you have many more capabilities than you do with SonicWall.

• "It's very flexible and meets our customer's needs."
  • "You can do zero-trust networking with them, but it's not easy."

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in SonicWall, consider checkpoint or Fortinet first. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. They don't have independent testing. They haven't been independently rated — or another way to put it: Gardner rates them poorly. Because of this, we can't sell SonicWall to customers as easily as we can sell Fortinet or Checkpoint.
See 21 more SonicWall NSa Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.