Sophos Intercept X Review

Excelling in this competitive product category with more features than users put to task

What is our primary use case?

The EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response) and the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) components are probably the biggest areas of the product that we employ. We also make use of web content filtering and application control as well.

What is most valuable?

I would probably say that the DLP portion of the product is the most valuable for what we do. That just happens to be the side of the house I sit in. But the EDR alerting is also relevant when talking about valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Refreshing the reports could be improved. It looks like sometimes when systems no longer exist those systems can still show up on the reporting.

For example, if you spin up a virtual desktop and a virtual server, and then you change the name of that virtual server, what happens is Intercept X still maintains a record of the device by the old name. It does that even though it no longer exists in the system because the name has been changed. So, refreshing the data is probably something that needs to be addressed.

I can not really address what I think needs to be added to the product right now because I still think our organization is focusing on learning what the product can do and discovering the capabilities. I have been so involved with it from the perspective of understanding what it does currently that I am still trying to figure out what else we would like to see.

We have been using Sophos Intercept X for probably a little over six months now.

We have about 1500 endpoints. That is a pretty good volume. While I do not know exactly how to rate it, the scalability is excellent from the standpoint of adding endpoints. We have not run across any issues with the scalability of it. I would tell you that it is very applicable to this company right now and certainly is up to the task of matching our needs.

To this point-in-time, we have found that the technical support is very responsive. We can reach them by phone and by email, and we get answers to the issues and questions we bring up.

I think the initial installation and setup were very straightforward.

Once the rollout started, we had to incorporate 1500 devices — and that is just the desktops alone. It probably took about two months. The amount of time it took was because of the scale of resources dedicated to onboarding the solution. It was not because of distribution.

We did not need to use an integrator or consultant for deployment. It was all done internally.

We did evaluate other options before choosing Sophos. For example, we looked at Sentinel One. We also looked at a couple of different solutions like Trend Micro and CrowdStrike. Looking at those four seems to have been a good enough comparison of products in the category.

What other advice do I have?

My biggest bit of advice for people taking on Intercept X is to train your staff on all of the functions of that solution. There are a number of solutions within the one product and it is best to know how to use them all and if they apply to your circumstances.

The biggest lesson we have learned from using Sophos is that the product can be a bit overwhelming with information and data. That is the situation where your training and your resources come into play.

Make sure you have a complete plan to utilize the tool or you will have pieces that are just sitting there and nothing is happening to utilize them. There are a lot of capabilities that the solution has and you need to make the effort to discover them.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Sophos Intercept X as probably about a nine-out-of-ten. It is not until you see other applications like CrowdStrike and do a comparison to see what they can do that you really have an idea of what applications in the category are capable of.

More Sophos Intercept X reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.