Spark SQL Review

An excellent solution that continues to mature but needs graphing capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our data warehouse. We use it for data science.

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is excellent.

The solution is continuing to evolve and mature over time.

What needs improvement?

The service is complex. This is due to the fact that it's a combination of a lot of technology.

The solution needs to include graphing capabilities. Including financial charts would help improve everything overall.

I've been using the solution since 2013.

The solution is relatively stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches.

The solution is scalable. We've found it easy to expand as necessary.

Right now, we have about 42 users on the solution. They include IT and ETL staff as well as a business analyst.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I can't speak to any experience our company has had with them.

I've also worked with Apache SQL and SAP. This solution is a much more scalable and adventurous solution. It's also faster than the others. We used to use IQ, but at the time it couldn't scale well, so we switched to IBM Appliance. Then we switched to Spark. IBM was good, but it also had issues with scalability and it cost us a lot of money.

The initial setup is straightforward. We found it quite easy.

We handled the implementation ourselves with our in-house team.

The pricing of Apache is much more competitive than IBM.

What other advice do I have?

We use both the on-premises and cloud deployment models.

We have a relationship with Cloudera and use their distribution channels. We don't have a relationship with Apache.

Spark SQL is a good product. However, users need to have the capability of implementing the correct tools and efficiencies.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.