Splunk Review

Easy to use, provides a lot of analytics, and allows you to do pretty much whatever you want

What is most valuable?

It provides a lot of analytics with the underlying AI engine, and it is a lot easier than other solutions. There are some products that do automated AI-based detection and drawing up charts, but for network monitoring and all of the monitoring aspects, it is quite a nice tool.

It is very convenient for business users because they get more or less a lot of data readily available. If you're familiar with the Splunk query language, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

What needs improvement?

If you have to do your own stuff, such as customized charts, it is a little bit more work, but once you're familiar with the Splunk query language, you can pretty much do whatever you want. In terms of features, it should probably have the features that other competitors provide.

I have been using this solution for about three to four months.

I'm not sure. I do not really throw a lot of data in it, but it has been authenticated very nicely. It manages indexes and all of these things very nicely. I have not been privy to any production systems where you have millions of lines of log coming in every second. It works very well for the data that I have. It should be able to handle a lot of data. That's the whole purpose of it, and that's why Splunk has become so popular. It is an enterprise monitoring tool, and a lot of customers have Splunk in their ecosystem.

They have pretty much good documentation and good training. Their documentation is a lot better than Qlik Sense.

Splunk is an enterprise monitoring tool. Qlik Sense can do a little bit of log monitoring, but it is mostly used for dashboard reporting, whereas Splunk is more around monitoring and figuring out threats and all such things. They are different, but both deal with the data and allow you to create operation reports.

Power BI is another tool that a lot of our customers use, but Splunk is quite often requested. It is also a lot more popular than Qlik Sense. We have a fair number of Qlik Sense customers.

We usually sell Blue Prism to business users who are more concerned with the reporting aspect, which is why they would like to have easy tools like Qlik Sense in their ecosystem, but on the infrastructure side, it would be Splunk for enterprise monitoring.

Simple environments are easier to install. Because there is a lot of data log monitoring, once you have a production system, there is some amount of work in setting it up, especially making it SSL Secure and exposing it on the internet. There are multiple components behind it, so you need to ensure that all these things are set up correctly. These kinds of things are not required on a cloud platform because you are just uploading data. You really don't have much access to the backend.

Splunk also has a cloud version, which I haven't looked at, but I have used Qlik Sense's cloud platforms. With on-premises, you are in control of pretty much how you set up all the data that you are sending out. A lot of our customers have the issue that if it is a cloud platform, they cannot really send out the data to any of these cloud platforms. So, there are data residence and other issues.

It is economical than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Splunk. It is quite a decent tool, and it is there in a lot of enterprises.

I would rate Splunk an eight out of ten.

More Splunk reviews from users
...who compared it with LogRhythm NextGen SIEM
Learn what your peers think about Splunk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.