Splunk Review

Has good security features but needs a better pricing model

What is most valuable?

Because I'm security focused, I prefer the security features such as Splunk Phantom and Splunk Enterprise Security.

What needs improvement?

We need to get a Splunk Cloud instance inside South Africa's borders. At this stage, we are pushing Splunk Cloud, but it is not yet within South Africa's borders. So we've got data sovereignty issues, especially with government organizations.

Technical support could be improved as well.

Splunk can be an expensive solution. I think that they need to change their pricing model. At present, it is based on the number of gigabytes that you ingest into the Splunk system. Their competitors are now starting with a pricing model where you pay per device talking back. If Splunk could have a similar alternative, it would then allow people to choose the data model they want such as set data or a set number of devices.

I have been using Splunk for three years.

The technical support here in South Africa hasn't been great, but I understand why as we make up less than 3% of Splunk's total revenue in the world.

The initial setup isn't overly complex, but it's not easy either.

The pricing model is based on the number of gigabytes that you ingest into the Splunk system. So it can be an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your requirements properly from the beginning so that you can get the most value in a shorter space of time.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Splunk at six.

More Splunk reviews from users
...who compared it with LogRhythm NextGen SIEM
Learn what your peers think about Splunk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.