Splunk Review

Clients benefit from the live security monitoring of their parent IP infrastructure base but Splunk should adjust the pricing

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security incident event management and for IT service intermediates.

How has it helped my organization?

We sell it to clients so clients benefit from Splunk in terms of live security monitoring of their parent IP infrastructure base. Their IP security and network application base is where we have a 24/7 monitoring interface.

What is most valuable?

Splunk has many good apps and has a contribution from all security vendors. That's where Splunk wins.

What needs improvement?

Splunk's cost is very high. They need to review the pricing. They have to go back and totally readdress the market.

Splunk does not build apps. They only go back and validate the apps that somebody has already built. They should have remote consulting support. They have a wonderful solution. They have 24/7 security. Nobody needs to depend on any third party and will therefore just buy Splunk on the cloud.

Its costs are too high and it should be more cost effective because it's going to be a cloud offering.

Stability is perfect. It's a good product. The market right now is moving towards cloud. We will use cloud in our option strategy. One thing that Splunk does not have is a partner consulting base so Splunk depends heavily on its own consulting, which I think should not be there. They should promote more partners for consulting. In fact, their education program is also very costly for all partners. For example, if you want to get your guys certified it's really costly. Because they have a good solution, they're completely inflexible with pricing. I don't see a lot of enablement from Splunk.

The initial setup is simple, not very complex. Initial deployment takes around 10 to 15 minutes to set up the entire base for Splunk including all three tiers.

The client has to bear that cost plus the initial infrastructure, Splunk does not come in and install it. The client, retailer or the partner has to do it. Secondly, then comes the software installation part of Splunk wherein you go and install the Splunk components. Then you have the configuration part which includes the revenue use cases on the Splunk apps on the Splunk platform which is another big phase. You can build your project the way you want to. It's a life phase. Use cases are not something which cannot be quantified. Initial set up can be done through the Splunk apps and then, later on, you can modify the use cases as per what the client needs.

Pricing is one factor that hurts everybody on the market; the client, the reseller, everybody that touches it. Only Splunk makes money. It is hard to have it for the long term if it's a stretch for your budget. Pricing becomes a problem and people are just focused on numbers rather than creating a vision for the entire product. That is the biggest factor I found with Splunk, that they just want to make money and they don't care about anything else. They lost national, country-level projects because of this attitude.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate it as a security product an eight out of 10. There's no product which is perfect unless you go back and you create a psychic of the solutions.