Spring Cloud Review

A code-based customisable solution that integrates easily, but the dashboard could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing traffic and API routing. It was on-premise, and then all the components were Spring-based components and Java-based, whereas, in the case of Google Cloud, it was heterogeneous, and few were Python-based. We chose Spring Cloud gateway as all services were in Java, and it was on-premise.

What is most valuable?

Spring Cloud integrates well. As it's code-based, you can do more customization. With the way you configure or code, you can have your custom implementations. It's the best integration option if you have Java Spring Web Services.

What needs improvement?

If there's a dashboard like the ones provided by Apigee or Kong, that will be useful. This is because non-programmers can also go for it. Currently, Spring Cloud is best suited for hardcore programmers who know Spring and seasoned professionals in the Spring Cloud.

It'll also help if it supports open banking and different routing policies. I think we can set it up, but it'll be better with dashboard support.

I have been using Spring Cloud for a couple of months.

Spring Cloud is a stable solution.

Spring Cloud is a scalable product.

The initial setup is straightforward and not very difficult. Just add a few form dependencies, and your Spring Cloud gateway will be up. It took us about a day to deploy Spring Cloud. We faced some difficulties in the CORS, like cross-origin resource sharing. We were facing that error. It took us more time to resolve that error, but eventually, we were able to resolve that. In the case of Apigee, setting up the CORS is very straightforward, so that's one thing that I like about Apigee.

Spring Cloud is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spring Cloud to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Spring Cloud a six.

Latest Version
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Red Hat, HashiCorp and others in Configuration Management. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.