Stellar Data Recovery Review

Good data recovery capabilities with improved pricing but poor technical support

What is our primary use case?

We recently had a malware attack, and there were files that could only be recovered by Stellar. We used other applications as well, but Stellar was the only one that was able to recover certain files. The hard disk crashed in one case and we were able to re-acquire the data. In another case, a user accidentally deleted files from his laptop and also we were able to get them back.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good data recovery capabilities.

The GUI interface is very simple and easy to use.

It's a good bit-to-bit company overall.

The solution has great features and it's very handy to have within our organization.

What needs improvement?

While we haven't discovered any lack within the features themselves, the pricing could be more accessible. We're very happy with the solution, aside from the pricing.

Technical support that is on offer in India should be improved. Currently, a lot of follow up is required to get answers from the support team in the region.

Occasionally, we find the stability off; we do get glitches from time to time.

We have been using the solution for the last two years. We use it on a case-by-case basis. It depends on the situation in terms of if we'll use this particular solution. We use it only about twice a year, so not too much.

The stability is largely very good.

We're testing for some glitches, but there isn't really anything so long as we keep on updating the application itself. There are minor glitches, and sometimes it crashes in between the backup, but the solution is constantly improving.

The solution is not scalable at all. It's something that could be improved.

Technical support in Europe is okay. However, I find that in India it's very poor. We have to follow up a lot to get what we need out of them.

We actually use more than one tool. There's a tool that specifically recovers BKF files, for example. Using more than one solution allows us to recover more files, including BFK and Microsoft backups.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We found it simple to deploy. The solution is on a VM, so we have set everything up on one virtual machine and found no trouble with arranging that. In the end, deployment didn't take more than three to four hours. The installation was quite quick.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't need any outside assistance.

While we do find the pricing expensive currently, it's also a competitive market, so I have noticed that they've tried to reduce the costs. However, the license is quite costly for a mid-size business.

Costs are approximately 125 Euros a year for the basic package, but for businesses and organizations, you can expect to pay about 200 Euros. There are additional costs. Sometimes if you go for the server recovery, they charge for an inspection. There's no guarantee on the data recovery. It can cost about 400 or 450 Euros.

What we use depends on a case-by-case basis. For example, some solutions recover files more easily than others. In some instances, we'll look for advice from an expert that will help us advise which solution to use. It's not always Stellar, which is actually rarely used in our company.

What other advice do I have?

We have used the latest version of the solution, which may be version seven, although I'm not sure of which version it is exactly.

The solution is used very rarely in the company, and we only really use it a few times a year, as needed.

I'd recommend the product. We've been able to benefit from using it in the past, but it's not necessarily 100% guaranteed to work every time.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.