SUSE Linux Enterprise Review

YaST simplifies the server management allowing for a centralized utility to control most of the server functions

What is our primary use case?

I have been using SUSE and OpenSUSE since 1999 in various capacities.

What is most valuable?

There are several items which make this distribution a good product, however I think YaST is probably what I like most about it. YaST simplifies the server management of SUSE allowing for a centralized utility to control most of the server functions.

What needs improvement?

All distributions of Linux could use some improvement.

More than five years.

The only stability issues that I can recall encountering with SUSE would be with KDE. However, that is limited to just the desktop environment as I have not had stability issues with most server functions.

Not that I can recall.

I have never actually used the technical support. If I had an issue, then I would search the forums to find others that may have encountered similar issues.

I have used various different distributions of Linux. Currently, I am supporting Ubuntu and CentOS server deployments.

The initial setup for most modern Linux distributions is normally straightforward. Most of the common distributions use an ncurses or GUI install.

I would advise others to download the free or strictly open source versions, then test them in their environment before committing to a purchase. This will allow for testing suitability for applications that they want to run.

I have evaluated several different versions of Linux distributions over the years. It depends upon the planned use as to which platform will work best. I have tested RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Linux Mint, SparkyLinux, SliTaz, Gentoo Linux, and several others.

What other advice do I have?

Verify this product will do want you need it to do. As with all server class distributions, it can be setup with or without the GUI.