Talend Data Fabric Review

Smart tool to design data pipelines that has good connection capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-premises version.

It is a smart tool for us to design data pipelines. It lets us populate our three data lake instances. We like this solution for its connection capabilities since it is very important to be able to use many different types of software. We tested a lot of SAP sources successfully, including cloud sources with SAP. It is also very easy to anonymize data with TIBCO, as well as populating HDFS files, packet files, and raw files. It is very easy to do that with Talend Data Fabric.

What needs improvement?

Deployment can be difficult, but I didn't test the latest version yet. With Talend products, every release brings a lot of new features and functionalities. This is never a small adaptation because the tool is maturing, but we need to test the latest version and to check its deployment capabilities.

It is our objective to promote all of the data pipelines. We have a design in production and this is our last concern regarding tool adoption.

This is close to being solved. It's just a matter of time. We have no technical issues. We have good support from the vendor.

Now maybe it would be good to work towards being able to use edge and to be able to deploy the pipeline designed on any platform, on-premises or in the cloud. I think this is their vision also. Adoption of the hybrid cloud is the direction we are going in. Creating a hybrid between the on-premises path and the cloud path so each was able to design something without taking accounts of the target would be amazing.

We've been using this solution for about one year.

It is definitively a stable solution.

It is scalable because Talend Data Fabric is a code generator. This is not an engine as an Informatica Power Center is. This means that when you generate code, and you operate the code the caliber of the code is different.

This is a developer tool, so we usually have eight concurrent users.

To be frank, at the beginning, it was very, very difficult. Now, I think that Talend understands what our challenges are now we have a high level of support both in France and the Netherlands. I work for two airlines: Air France and KLM.

This is at the level of our expectations. That was not the case one year ago. Now the level of support provided by Talend is at the right level.

It is very easy to set up the product, it's not complex at all. But for the designer tool that we have on a laptop, the main issue is the java version. You have to have the right java version on the laptop.

The platform took a couple of weeks. When a developer wants to have the tool available on his laptop, this is automatic deployment time. We are able to deploy automatically. The tool is very easy. My job is not to develop it. I am an enterprise architect but I test and evaluate once every two months, just to understand how each tool works. When I have free time, which is unusual, I try to play with the tool that we have. For me, Talend Data Fabric is very easy to use. You don't need to have a lot of knowledge to use the tool.

The most difficult task is to get the credentials to connect the software. That is more of an organizational issue than a technical issue, though.

We selected Talend Data Fabric two or three years ago because this is the tool that has the most capabilities to work with all the Adobe modules.

We selected Talend because the objective was to populate the data lake and this is the tool that has the most capabilities to populate files and repositories of the Adobe platform. This was the driver when we selected Talend.

What other advice do I have?

We needed a smart supporter because this is the first type for the users. The first time the user plays with the tool is always the most difficult period. We have a couple of experts to help with that. It is very, very important to have technical experts on the sources. If you want to connect an ACP source, for example, whatever the flavor, if you don't have your team or you don't ask the SAP expert, you will fail. This is very easy for a SAP expert, because the Talend documentation is very smart. You fill in talend.com and everything is well explained. If, however, you are not able to translate the recommendations in the figures of the source, it is very, very difficult. This is a one lesson that we learned. You need to have a experts, but it is not a full time job. When you want to connect to SAP source, you ask a SAP guy, he works a couple of days and the job is done. You definitively need experts for retrieving data, though.

I would rate this as eight of ten. It doesn't get rated a ten, because this is not a perfect tool. Each release brings new features and I think the tool is still maturing, but definitely in the right direction.