Thycotic Secret Server Review

Installation and setup is straightforward. Custom reporting and scheduling is available.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of installation
  • Folders
  • Secret attachments
  • Custom templates and password policies
  • Custom reporting and scheduling
  • Discovery service
  • Too many great features to list here

How has it helped my organization?

• Better adoption of PAM

What needs improvement?

Referring to Secret Server v10, we want the ability to add subfolders to the "\Personal Folders" container. We had to rename it to "\Personal Secrets" to avoid confusion. Otherwise, you can create as many top-level folders and subfolders as you like. A minor annoyance for an otherwise awesome product.

I have used it for 2+ years.

No issues during deployment: Get your SQL cluster deployed, check your prerequisites, run the installer. Log in and start configuring. That was really it.

We have not encountered any stability issues; been rock solid since production deployment.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. Performance issues with a few hundred users and thousands of secrets has been negligible; running on hardware.

Customer service is excellent. Customer relations and tech support have both been quick to respond and knowledgeable.

I rate technical support 8/10. There's always room for improvement when it comes to tech support, but compared to other big name companies, Thycotic tech support stands out among the top.

We had another product before switching. Secret Server crushed the old solution.

Initial setup was very straightforward compared to the competition.

We implemented it ourselves; it was pretty straightforward.

Look at their edition/feature comparison chart and decide which version suits you best. Note that clustering requires the Enterprise Plus edition. You're also allowed to install a lab and QA environment with your license which will help with pre-prod testing.

Before choosing, we looked at other vendors such as LastPass, 1Password, CyberArk, PasswordManager, PasswordState, BeyondTrust, Quest, CA, etc. In the end, the cost, features, and ease of deployment simply beat the competition.

An enterprise-class PAM system will always have complexities to deal with. However, some competitive products literally require a professional services engineer to come onsite if you want it done properly. Secret Server was comparatively easy to setup and get running on our own.

What other advice do I have?

Thycotic Secret Server is an excellent product; we're very happy with it!