Thycotic Secret Server Review

Enables us to centrally manage and distribute secrets, but usability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing secrets and distributing them to our users.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces the risk of secrets being stored in insecure locations, and enables us to share, control, and rotate the secrets. It has also helped to increase staff productivity. It has saved a few man-hours per employee per month.

In terms of security maturity for our organization, it definitely helps with the overall secrets-management aspect. Before, the secrets were not managed online or in a central place. Governance was hard. It has matured the security program in that way.

What is most valuable?

• The overall secrets management
  • The ability to control access by groups
  • Sharing secrets

What needs improvement?

One of the things that we want is to be able to do some of the management of it using APIs.

Also, their release schedule is slower than I would like. A better release cadence, more frequent releases, would be better, even if they were smaller.

It's been pretty stable. It has never failed.

The scalability is okay, for what the solution does.

I have only used technical support once and it wasn't bad. It was slower than I wanted, but I don't think it was bad.

We used a version that was offline but we wanted something that is centrally managed. That was the reason for the switch, if I remember correctly. There is a need, in general, for organizations to have a solution like this and we chose this vendor.

I don't know how much it costs but, generally, there has been good return on what we wanted to do.

I don't remember specific ones off top of my head, but there were definitely other vendors on the shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest challenge with this solution is the usability. You should have your end customers try out different things, find out which product they prefer, and pick that.

I would rate the product at seven out of ten. The usability is very bad which makes it difficult for end-users to use. They complain about putting secrets in it.