TIBCO Streambase CEP Review

Good stability and scalability with the capability to combine with Spotfire

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution for clients. They typically use it for drone flying and machinery in factories.

What is most valuable?

The ability for StreamBase to combine with Spotfire is its most valuable aspect. The ability to handle data in motion and the entirety of data at the same time is very good. If you don't integrate the two together it's just a monitoring tool, but if they're combined together it becomes a powerful analytical tool.

When you can combine live data from streaming data sources with standing data from the customer's primary database then you can calculate some KPIs or thresholds based on the previous information. We can do data science, machine learning methods or just clever queries. You can view all this online. If a KPI hits a redline, you can send alerts, which is the solution's most functional feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more user-friendly for developers. Right now, you need a strong programmer to tune the solution. It's complicated product. I'm not sure if it can be done via self-service with BI. Because I'm from BI, I want more simplicity.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

The stability is great.

The scalability of the solution is great.

We're a TIBCO partner; we've never had issues with technical support.

The solution has a moderate amount of difficulty for the initial setup. There's a lot of configuration. You need to be able to understand and combine data. It's not like connecting an SQL server. Deployment takes several months.

There are two solutions. There is StreamBase standalone, and then there is TIBCO Data Streams, which can be embedded in a stored file. Each has different pricing. The embedded solution is cheaper. If you buy Data Stream as part of Spotfire it's cheaper than to buy StreamBase by itself.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with TIBCO.

I'd recommend others considering implementation to find the correct use case first. If you have the correct use case and you have time to explore it, it's not going to be a lot of configuration.

I'd rate the solution 8.5 out of ten.