Tintri

Tintri VMstore Review

Valuable Features:

For my company, Tintri's most valuable feature is it's TCO. This system is easy to install, requires no training, and is easy to upgrade. I've worked on both EMC and NetApp SANs, and this is by far the easiest system to maintain. As a SysAdmin, I really appreciate the built-in monitoring capabilities as well as the PowerShell and REST API toolkits.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have 300 virtual desktops running on VMware Horizon. While many VDI deployments (like call centers) are able to take advantage of non-persistent desktops, licensing and other application issues forced us to use more IO-intensive persistent desktops. The T650 allowed us to cost-efficiently provide very high performing desktops by optimizing the use of Flash. We're currently using 19 TB of storage space for the desktops, but their optimization has consistently given us a 100% flash-hit ratio.

Room for Improvement:

I would love to see improvements in their replication engine. Their current replication is really just enough to "check the box" that they do replication. We'll probably implement Actifio, Zerto or EMC RecoverPoint for VMs for more critical data replication.

Use of Solution:

We've had two T650 VMstores since April 2014.

Deployment Issues:

Initially, we had some issues related to the sizing of the box. We had originally purchased a T620, but ran into some unexpected capacity problems related to deduplication and snapshot features. Although the issues were mostly sales-related, Tintri surprised us by upgrading us to the next model for free.

Stability Issues:

We've had no problems at all with stability. At this point, we've done several upgrades of the system which uses the High Availability features to restart each head during the upgrade.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

As I mentioned above, their level of customer service is extraordinary.

Technical support has been very responsive. A few weeks ago we upgraded some switches at a remote site, causing the T650's management interface to go offline for a few minutes. Within a few minutes, we got a few emails from tech support and my sales engineer offering any help. They're also very good about keeping us informed about any new upgrades or patches.

Previous Solutions:

This system was used for a new project.

Initial Setup:

Initial set-up was very easy and was probably finished in 30 minutes. I was surprised that the initial set-up required a keyboard, mouse and monitor rather than just a serial connection.

Implementation Team:

We purchased through a vendor called Datalink, but our Tintri sales engineer came in and installed the system at no additional cost.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

With any SAN purchase, the sizing procedure is the most important step. I'd suggest going through exactly how you will use the system with your sales engineer and get their approval in writing.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated EMC, NetApp, Nimble Storage, and Pure Storage. At the time the "all-flash" options were still very expensive and we hoped that a hybrid approach would be sufficient for our performance needs. We're very happy with the decision.

Other Advice:

With the drop in flash prices, there are a lot more options on the market than when we first started our research for this project. In particular, I'm currently very interested in hyper-converged solutions. However, if are looking for an easy, but high performing storage platform for VMware, then you can't go wrong with Tintri.

2 visitors found this review helpful
Fa1bb9f6 f7bf 4a59 a30b a827a621229e avatarAnonymous avatar x30

1 Comment

14d604b0 b5d1 42a2 8a71 723184bdda5b avatar?1458937516
Peter CookReal User

Good review. I work in Legal and we're actually evaluating Tintri, Pure and others right now.

Like (0)06 April 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Tintri VMstore?

Our experts can help. 213,824 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.