Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System Review

Very stable with good technical support, but can be quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for email scanning.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at tracking attacks.

The solution automatically upgrades itself well in order to be effective against future attacks.

We can manually bypass IP addresses and DNS entries if we need to.

The technical support on offer is very good.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we are stuck with an older platform, 1400 N. It's more like a software base, so bypassing is done through software. If you go with the newer system, for example, the 4-40s, that's a hardware-based bypass, so those are more powerful. It has more throughput.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

The solution is pretty expensive.

We've been using this solution for many, many years so far. It's been a while at this point.

The stability is excellent. It's 99.9% stable. There aren't issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is scalable, however, you need to swap the box. It's not the kind of scalability that you can do it via software. You need to swap the box and get a better model to expand it out. That said, it can scale. A company that needs to scale can do so. It just takes a hardware upgrade.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. We've found them to be very good. They are responsive and knowledgeable. They are helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We also use Splunk. We use both together. Splunk will warn us if something is happening, and then we can use TippingPoint to block access as necessary. We tend to use Splunk everywhere.

The initial setup is not so easy. It's not that it's complex, per se. It's just not super-simple. You need some technical folks to manage it. It's not like anybody can do it. You have to have some knowledge. Otherwise, you'll run into a lot of issues.

This is not the cheapest option. The solution is quite expensive.

We're currently looking at Cisco and considering deploying their solution in the new year.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution, however, it depends on what a company needs. Before jumping in, a company needs to ask, themselves questions like: "What's our requirement". That said, for general enterprises, it's a good enough option.

For our organization, however, as of next year, we're going to move away from it and deploy with a Cisco-based solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

6.3
More Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Sourcefire SNORT
Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Cisco, Palo Alto Networks and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: June 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.