UFT Pro (LeanFT) Review

It helps move testing closer to the development cycle. However, future releases should support all technologies, which UFT does.

Valuable Features:

The fact that it is so easy to go between UFT with its large install base and LeanFT. Whoever has used UFT will quite easily become productive with LeanFT, but with the added benefit of “shifting left”, to move testing closer to the development cycle.

Room for Improvement:

As the releases come, support for all technologies in the systems under test that UFT currently support will be the obvious place for improvement.

Use of Solution:

I have not been using LeanFT in a professional capacity yet. I have participated in the LeanFT beta testing program and in that capacity I used the product for three months.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment, as far as it was completed during the beta test, went smooth and without complications. I have not yet tested the installation alongside UFT, as it is shipped with UFT 12.5.

Stability Issues:

As I tested the product during the beta test period, the product was obviously not completed, but that never affected stability. Any issues with functionality that I had was quickly and resolutely resolved.

Previous Solutions:

In my professional career as Test Automation Developer, I have mainly used UFT. While I will not switch to LeanFT completely, as the products are complementing rather than replacing each other, I will use LeanFT whenever projects dictate that test automation be done during the development process.

Initial Setup:

Setup simply installs the product as an add-in to Visual Studio or Eclipse. No other setup is necessary. It cannot be easier.

Other Advice:

The product is new, but builds on a solution that has a long history. Comparable products do not, in my opinion, have as large a coverage of target technologies as LeanFT has.

Go for it, but do not expect that it will replace all other Test Automation products. This is a complement.