UFT Pro (LeanFT) Review

Being able to code tests in C# is valuable, though its stability needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the possibility to code the test framework with C# and Java and therefore, use the development teams.

How has it helped my organization?

The technical part of test automation does not need a separate technology for developing test suites for end-to-end testing, regression testing and user acceptance testing.

What needs improvement?

Improvement is still needed for stability and performance. Still, it is at the beginning of a technological shift for HP test automation. The tool would be best if HP made the OR functionality and performance similar to the HP UFT one.

The solution has been used in a pilot alpha testing project.

Yes – deployment was not yet production ready.

For several browsers it needed some special settings which affected the stability of the product.

Scalability was not an issue for the pilot, and it's not expected to be an issue in the future, as all development resources can be used on an as needed basis.

The support in the alpha/beta test phase was especially good.

The technical support was perfect as we could talk directly to architects developers and product managers.

Previously we used HP UFT and Selenium because there was actually no alternative products at the market.

The setup was well-prepared, but quite complex. When related to our environment, there have been setup problems. These problems could be resolved by an intimate technical customer service.

The implementation happened in-house.

You could cut the technical part of the test automation processes by about 50%.

Setup cost was around €10,000. Day-to-day processes would be 0 as the technical part of test automation will be integrated completely into development. This will save the extra part of technical test automation, which sums up to the yearly license costs.

All options in the test automation market are evaluated at all times. Rational Robot, Tosca, Soap UI, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have test management at the same level as test automation otherwise money will be lost.

1 Comment
Consultant with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

Its time for an update:

Actually we have LeanFT now running for a year implementing new projects using the same framework we were using before for UFT.

From the valuable features we use Java and could make use of our experienced programmers to optimize the framework code. The E2E testing still need improvement as we did not yet integrate it in ALM - nor the Jenkins processes. The OR functionality of UFT is still missing.

We will continue to setup new projects with LeanFT, especially when moving the organisation to agile methodologies. Still the old UFT framework does the massive regression workload at 90%+...

30 May 17