Veeam Cloud Connect Review

Naturally avoids network changes when replicating

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for clients that are offsite and have Veeam installed and need to move their backups to a secondary location, which is our data center. We use Cloud Connect for that and we are partners of Veeam.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can do a replica and you can use the appliance to bring up your workload to the cloud and have it look as if it's sitting on your site, meaning there are no network changes that happen when you need to do that.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the solution able to back-up from KVM. There have been major improvements with the response times over the lower bandwidth coming from the internet over Cloud Connect, with a lower bandwidth connection. I also think the cost factor is a major issue for Veeam because it's a very expensive soluton especially when the client wants support for VMware. The cloud is agnostic and apart from our Hyper-V and VMware environment, being a service provider we also have clients that are just using KVM as a hypervisor.

I've been using this solution for three months.

We've only used the solution for three months, and till now we've only onboarded one client. We're currently looking to expand on the product so we'll only know when we've done that. So far, it's stable.

In terms of scalability I think it will be a scalable solution but we'll only know when we see it once we're growing that environment. I believe it will be scalable, because you can deploy a new gateway server, and edit in to the gateway pools.

We have premier support with Veeam and they're very good.

I've recently also started working with Acronis Backup Cloud at one of my other clients. It's possible that I'm not too clued up with ransomware on Veeam, but Acronis provides real time ransomware and more protection. If it detects that you have ransomware on your machine or malware, it won't backup that machine. And the same for restoring. We have a client that recently got hit with ransomware. The problem was he had connected to his backup server and lost all his Veeam backup. The client also had Acronis and we had to leverage Acronis to do the restore. I'm actually tasked over the next week to restore Veeam services and I need to find some pure method to store his backups so that this doesn't happen again.

The initial setup wasn't as straightforward as backup and replication, but it wasn't too difficult either. So that's not too bad. It's an intermediate level of complexity. When you actually deploy your Veeam Backup environment, you need to configure your cloud repositories and your cloud gateway and then create the gateway portal with a load balancer for those gateways. It becomes complex because you need to know which one to do first. You might try to do one thing and it tells you to do something else first. It wasn't difficult just frustrating at times. I'm not sure how long it took in terms of hours, we scheduled the deployment of components over the course of a week.

We pay a service provider license which is based on a point system. It's a rental, so if we use 100 licenses, we pay for 100 licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution and recommend it to clients. From a data center point of view, I also do consultation as well as being the principal engineer for the data center from VMware and Veeam standpoint and I've always recommended Veeam for our clients. Right now I've got a very good opinion of the product but it remains to be seen what happens down the line.

For now, I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Veeam Cloud Connect reviews from users
...who compared it with Acronis Backup
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Cloud Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.