Veeam ONE Review

Flexible, easy to use with a great storage gateway feature

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam ONE because we have a Windows and Linux environment, and we also have Office365. Microsoft doesn't back up the data from Office365, they only have checkpoints so the customer is required to backup that data, if that's what their composite calls for. Although we use the solution on premise, we write data off to the cloud every couple of months. We are customers of Veeam One and I'm an IT professional.

What is most valuable?

This is a very easy to use solution and it's scalable in terms of how big your environment is. I like the Veeam storage gateway feature. As a customer, it allows you to take some of the old monthly backups and write that off to the cloud, whether it's AWS or Azure or a private cloud, it really doesn't matter. It's just really flexible to use. It also supports Windows Linux and you can even do desktop backups with it. I think the best feature is the O365 functionality, which is a separate product, but it works right alongside Veeam ONE.

What needs improvement?

This is not a highly customizable solution but there is very little that needs improvement in this product. They actually improved the UI, it has a very Window-ish interface now so that once you log into the console, all your servers are listed down the left hand side, and particularly for an auditor, you can see the policies and make changes, search for the retention, the backups, etc. As an IT professional, we want everything free so the price of the product could be reduced, but they do need to pay their developers.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Veeam ONE is more stable than the operating system it lives on. So it lives in Windows and that's more of a concern than the actual application itself. Veeam is very, very good. It's that underlying OS. If I could put that in Linux, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Scalability is one of the more impressive things about Veeam ONE. I could scale up or down as much as I want or need. If it's simply a license issue, it's just increasing your number of licenses. They're very flexible in how they initially license you. But if you just buy what you need and add on over time, it works very well and that's what we want. We want easy stuff that works and that's reliable and is supported, and doesn't cost a fortune, but if they want to lower the price, that's even better.

Our administration team uses the solution, so maybe two or three people just managing it. Once you set it up, it's automatic. You can set up emails to alert a group or a person or a team that the backups are done, and that it's fine. My entire team has access to it, and there are five of us, but we don't get into it every day. We're a small company in the medical industry, and  we had several audits a year. It was crucial that the data was being backed up and encrypted, which is another great feature of Veeam. It just uses the native encryption there, or you can run Vormetric as your encryption mechanism for the backups themselves. The solution doesn't require a backup administrator, you can use one of your Windows admins to log in and do the occasional restore or run a report. There's no need to maintain the software.

Customer service was great, they responded very quickly. There is also a lot of information available on Youtube and that can help with installation. But the support is there and if you call them they'll walk you through and solve any issue.

We were using Veritas before this, it's their NetBackup product. I find that difficult to use, but the great thing there is it can run on a Linux server.

The initial setup was straightforward. When we moved to Veeam ONE, we had to install fresh, because we were not running the most current version. We just imported all of our former backups. It was drag and drop, and then setting up backup jobs is just crazy easy with Veeam ONE. Deployment took around four hours because we already had the backup jobs. If we didn't have the server built and the backup jobs it would have taken longer. We filled the server, installed Veeam ONE, imported all of our old backup data into that product and it was done. Their support was really good, we used a very skilled integrator who gave us lots of great tips.

We've been looking at other options, Rubrik is one of them. Like Veeam, it's very simple and it's just an appliance. It's like a 1U or 2U appliance. You put it in your data center's server room or whatever you have, you define a policy, and they're literally called gold, silver and bronze. When you discover the server within Rubrik, you can decide you want the gold backup which might mean full backups every night. The silver backups might do incrementals every night, fulls on the weekend, and then maybe bronze might be differentials and maybe full backups once a month, or whatever the business requires.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Veeam is not highly customizable, but if someone's looking for a reliable, stable backup product that you can scale and get great support on, that supports multiple OS's, I would suggest using it. It's pretty good.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Veeam ONE reviews from users